home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, July 31, 2009

Smiles are Priceless

We had several interesting events this week. A busy week. Full of cleaning out pantries, refrigerators, cars and laundry bins. A week full of yard mulching and furniture rearranging.

Visits with cousins and practice with friends rounded out our week but the most memorable visit was a short one.

A twenty minute consultation with the orthodontist. "Ma'am, your daughter has the mouth of an average 12-year-old or late-blooming 14-year-old," he said. He followed it up with a statement about how it is now time for braces.

Braces! She's only nine for crying out loud!

Sigh.

Bring it on, adolescence.

The good news is that when other girls and boys are starting to think about braces and other adolescent things, Julia will be done. Finito with the brace thing. 

I think about the "early blooming" in my junior high. They seemed so beautiful, untouchable, un-awkward for sure. I wanted to be one. I was awkward way into my teen years, shaped a little strange, dotted with zits and weighed down with self-consciousness.

I pray for my girls. Hard. Daily. Desperately.

I want them to be laced with confidence that comes from within. Confidence that exudes from their hearts. The Bible is clear. Our outward expression begins in our heart.

This truth has always been hard for me to grasp. It is always hard for me to get past the mirror to view my soul. This is a faulty thinking I would do anything to not pass down to the next generation of Smith children.

And so we practice. Saying this over and over. Praying this over and over. "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)

Lord, may I live a life of confidence in You before my children. Teach me how to see, really see, their hearts. Amen.

1 comment:

Joyful said...

Oh to have His eyes! Lord, help me see myself, and others, through Your eyes of love.

Lisa, it's been awhile since time has permitted my visits, but what a beautiful reminder to welcome me back today.

Hugs,
Joy