home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Princess and the Pauper



Lately I've been tired.  Exhausted really.  Come to find out I've traded my life as a princess for that of a pauper and I didn't even know it.

"They have exchanged the glory of God for the shame if idols." Hosea 4:7 

Think about it.  We live as a new creation.  Clothed in glory.  When we accept Christ into our lives, we exchange the shame of our sins for his righteousness and glory. We become co-heirs with him to God's glory, fortune and inheritance.  Princes and princesses.

After that, we willingly put down the new and take up the old.  Yuck!

"Longing after idols has made them foolish." Hosea 4:12

I think of me. I am filled with longing.  Longing for good things. I long for God to use me. I long for my marriage to thrive in every way. I long for my children to serve God. Good things. Godly things.

Things that make me look foolish if I long for them more than I long to know Him. Long to meet with Him. Long to be transformed into His image exhibiting His glory. Which I exchange for shame when I focus on what I want His hand to do for me instead of the beauty of His face. I look foolish.

"Worshiping foreign gods has sapped their strength and they don't even know it." Hosea 7:9

Suddenly I am tired.  Exhausted. Stressed. Irritable. Cranky. Angry. Dissatisfied. T.i.r.e.d.
I don't even realized that I am guilty of setting down glory and taking up shame.  I don't realize that my longings have caused me to make foolish choices.

"So while these new residents worshiped the Lord, they also worshiped their idols." 2 Kings 17:41

In a feeble attempt to refocus I reach out to the Lord in worship. I praise his name. I pray. I share stories of blessing with others, only to realize I'm empty. I'm unworthy. I'm falling short. I'm losing in the battle.

Humbly, I return to the Lord. Ask for help. Look deeply into his heart. Drink deeply from his word. Fall feebly at his feet. Place my broken heart into his open hands. There I find what I really need. Confess my foolishness for thinking I know better than him. Find rest. 
Forgiveness and peace meet me. Truth invades my mind forcing all the idols in my heart to bow. To.the.one.true.God.

The God who wants a relationship with me.  With us.

"I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices. I want you to know me more than I want burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

I trade in my shame once again for his glory. I praise him that I know the value of eternal worth. I thank him for sharing the secret with me. I thank him for sharing his glory with me. For giving me an eternal inheritance. For making this pauper into a princess.

"The Lord says, "Then I will heal you of your unfaithfulness; my love will know no bounds, for my anger will be gone forever...I will be like a refreshing dew from heaven...The paths of the Lord are true and right, and righteous people live by walking in them...Here is a place of rest; let the weary rest here. This is a place of quiet rest...You must worship only the Lord your God. He is the one who will rescue you from all your enemies." Hosea 14:4-5, 9, Isaiah 28:12, 2 Kings 17:39

6 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Oh how desperately we need Him...more than we will ever know.

I pray that I always show love.

Lisa said...

As the song says, "There's no other word for grace but AMAZING"!
Blessings ~ Lisa

Laura said...

Yes, He always calls us back, doesn't He. Gently nudges, reminds of royal heritage.

Put on your crown, lady!

LisaShaw said...

The beautiful thing is that our LORD's presence always draws us back again and again. He replinishes and restores.

I love you and pray that you and your family are well. Rest in the presence of our Lord dear sister.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

lifeoflisasmith.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.