home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Honoring Old Friends

In honor of a recent girls night out with my college girls, I'm reposting something. I am so thankful for friends who have known me and still know me. You know the type. Friends who you may not talk to regularly but seem to know exactly what your heart feels before they know the whole story.

Friends who've known you for so long you can just sit in silence with them and it makes you smile. Friends who you can laugh so hard you cry one second and the next second you really are crying because you feel so understood.

I'm thankful for my girlfriends.



I've been talking about this retreat. For over fifteen years a group of friends and I have made an annual pilgrimage to this place. I've only missed one year...last year. It's that good!

The group has varied from year to year but there are a core group of us who have been close friends for years. I tell these girlfriends, "No matter how you have to get me there, get me there!" We've become friends who carry one another to where Jesus is.

I'm thinking this is what the paralyzed man in Luke 5 told his friends. Luke 5:17 tell us Jesus was teaching to a large crowd from many towns "And the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick."

Some men came carrying a paralytic on a mat. When they couldn't get through the crown they climbed to the roof, removed some tiles and lowered the man down "right in front of Jesus." (v. 19)

Jesus saw their faith, forgave his sins and healed him.

Think about it.

The faith of friends who love you can turn God's ear to your healing!

These guys loved their friend so much they made a stretcher, loaded him on it and carried him. Probably for miles, maybe for hours or days. After carrying him through town after town with sore backs, blistered fingers and bruised shins, they discovered that the crowd was so thick, Jesus might not be able to see their friend. So despite aching arms they climbed to the roof just to get their beloved friend in the presence of the One who could heal him. Wow!

These ladies have saved, borrowed and sacrificed, traveled long distances after long days, given up time with family and weekends year after year all to get right in front of Jesus with me in a place where "the power of the Lord is present to heal the sick."

Luke 5:25 says, "Without a moment's hesitation he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God."

Year after year we all truly pick up what we've been lying on and go home praising God!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

What a blessing to have friends like that.
Cute pic.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Laura said...

What would we do without our best girls? What a special bond you all must have. And it's all about Jesus! That is a true blessing!

Joyful said...

What a precious tribute. I wish I had a circle of friends like that - Wow...you've been doing this for over 15 years!!!!

Celebrating the blessings of friendship with you,
Joy