home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, July 06, 2009

Ahem, Help Please!

Throughout seasons of life, help comes in many forms. Some years we've had a maid service and tons of babysitters. Paid help. Some years we've had grandmas and college friends. Love help.

As I've had to spend more time helping Andrew at the office over the last few years, help has always come. Friends who volunteer to run carpool when I'm late, friends who share cross town driving, college girls who fold laundry and children who become old enough to help with household chores. 

With the changing of seasons, I've felt a tad overwhelmed. When summer comes to Aggieland, things change. As much as we love our sunny days and pool passes, we miss our college girls and school year routine.

That can be translated as, "I need help!" 

This year our Elizabeth left. Sniff. Sniff. Our neighbors moved. Sniff. Sniff. People I was used to seeing here are gone. People I loved being around and counted on are gone. Some coming back but others not. 

The neighbors moved away and the children are still asking if they can come play. They know they're gone but it hasn't registered yet that they won't be back for school. Sad. College girls will be back and that's good but I feel God trying to make an exclamation point on my soul.

In times like these I can choose to feel forgotten, neglected and lonely or I can choose to go to the greatest source of help ever.

Where do I look for my help? My cell phone or my Lord? Whose name do I call on when I'm having trouble getting to camp on time? Where do I turn when the laundry is eight loads high and the toilet overflows? 

All too often I find myself wishing so-and-so was here. I think if only my children could all go to camp for a week, the same week, I could "get it all done." 

The reality is the second they set foot back in this house, I'd be just as behind as I ever was. Plus I'd be missing them, Not that camp is bad. It's just that I think I know what type of help I need. The truth is, I don't.

That's why the Psalmist tells us all about help. Whether it's help guarding their very life or help making it through the dark, fearful night, we are to know where our help comes from.

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in time of trouble...I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD the Maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 46:1, 121:1-2)

I find it very interesting that Psalm 46 speaks of God's ever-present help in times of need in verse 1 and then further down in verse 10, "Be still and know that I am God."

Part of God's character is being an ever-present help. A help we cannot experience if we are not still. A help we cannot know if we are running around like chickens with our head cut off because we need help. Oh the ironies!

I'm not sure what form my help will take on but I'm sure help is coming because I know Where it's coming from.  "We put our hope in the Lord. He is our help..." (Psalm 33:20)

And just so I'm clear, know that this summer I have wonderful college babysitters. Lots of them. They take the children to the pool and the park and the dollar store and Sonic happy hour. They fill water balloons and attend happy birthday parties with teddy bears in bedrooms wrapped in toilet paper and homemade decorations. They make grilled cheese sandwiches and read library books and referee arguments. They play hide-and-seek, board games and listen to Hannah Montana until they're cross eyed. They avail themselves to my crazy schedule and love my kids unconditionally.

I'm just still a bit overwhelmed at times with life with The Smith Team and all they're activities,schedules, needs, personalities, habits and laundry. I love life with The Smith Team. It's a challenge I gladly meet head on! Let's just get one thing straight. I know where my help comes from...
"Unless the Lord had helped me, I would soon have settled in the silence of the grave. I cried out, “I am slipping!” but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me. When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer." (Psalm 94:17-19) 

3 comments:

Faye said...

Oh Lisa, I enjoyed your post so much! It was a blessing to me. Thank-u for sharing! Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

B His Girl said...

Your post makes me smile. The Lord is an ever present help in times of trouble...it doesn't have to be in something tragic. Trouble comes in all shapes and sizes...and even piles of laundry :) Enjoy the day He has made. B

Kathryn Taylor said...

Good reminder for me, and as a good reminder for you, read your posts from May. I remember being so tired for you at the end of the school year. Enjoy the summer (it really sounds like your kids are getting amazing opportunities at fun), and realize that most of us don't have a single college girl in sight! (boo hoo) You're blessed!