home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sister, Friend or Foe?


This has been a good start to an awesome week.  Some of my bloggy friends are bemoaning the fact that they have no VBS, no MDO, no camps, summer schools or activities this week.

I am rejoicing, doing a happy dance and singing the Hallelujah Chorus that tomorrow is the last day of summer school.  

My children usually play pretty well together.  Fighting is usually minimal in our house until someone is tired, bored or hungry as the mother's rule states.  When one feels slighted or needy sibling rivalry rears its ugly head.

Being on the run has made my children yearn for long days at home pretending with one another.  They are begging me just to play with each other.

This week has been pure bliss.

Saturday Andrew and I announced our plan to buy the boys bunk beds.  Excitement was in the air!  Bunk beds.  Forts.  Secret clubs.  Jumping and climbing.  Fun that pushes the limits.  That's what kids think about bunk beds.  My four are no exception.

Sunday we purchased said bunk beds.

Sunday evening at dinner my girls announced their newly hatched plan.  They would be sharing a room starting now.  They would even share clothes in an effort to get all their belongings in one tiny bedroom.  They picked the pieces of furniture from their two rooms that would make the "coolest" tween hangout.  Their BFF status would soon be so convincing that Andrew and I would be running to the closest store to buy them bunk beds too!

Sounds like a foolproof plan to me.

They don't know this but it could become a much stronger argument, fortified and solidified really, if they had just suggested that I use the "extra" bedroom for myself.  My haven of peace.  A sunny room with a comfy couch with a place for my new BFF my Macbook.  A space where all things have a place.  A place where animal prints, sunflowers and all things pink abound.  I could totally buy into that.

I could.  And because of that, I am actually considering it.  They picked a good time to ask as we are rearranging and sprucing up right now anyway.  Then I think of last week around here. 
Mortal enemies they were.  Bitter enemies.

This week best of friends.  That's what a sister is.  I'm learning this sister thing.  

This week is the week I prayed for.  I think I'll go enjoy it.

"How pleasant it is when (sisters) live together in unity...and love one another deeply with your whole heart." Psalm 133:1 & 1 Peter 1:22

1 comment:

B His Girl said...

Enjoy the bliss Lisa! I always wanted bunk beds as a kid! I totally get the club meetings and forts. I also can see YOUR ROOM : ) B