home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Healing for Then...and Now

"But though Naaman was a mighty warrior, he suffered from leprosy." 2 Kings 5:1

Reminds me of the Apostle Paul's infamous thorn in the flesh. (2 Corinthians 12:7To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.)

Kinda reminds me of my own failures, shortcomings and weaknesses.

Disease, sickness, weakness all placed in us to make Him stronger in our lives.

Sometimes it can be so easy, yet so difficult to receive the healing we so desperately desire.

Naaman expected Elisha to heal him by waving his hands over him and calling on the name of the Lord. Because Naaman didn't like the cure God was providing him with (to simply dip himself in the Jordan River seven times), he stormed off in anger.

Luckily, Naaman had some good friends who were very wise. They told him he was prepared to do whatever difficult thing Elisha requested so they instructed Naaman to obey. Simply obey.

"So Naaman went...and he was healed!" 2 Kings 5:14

How many times is our healing wrapped up in simple obedience? All too often our pride stiffens at His request. We want an in-depth explanation as to why we are in this mess. We want to think we have lived there because the solution to getting out was too difficult for us to master. The truth is it's as simple as saying one word. Yes. To God.

Tired of feeling rejected? Reach out and have fellowship with someone. Tired of hating your marriage? Lovingly submit to your husband. Tired of bitterness gnawing at your soul? Forgive. Tired of shallow relationships? Quit gossiping and start speaking the truth. Tired of a negative attitude and a heart lacking joy? Stop complaining and find blessing for which to praise God. Tired of your life? Seek God for new direction.

Change is as simple as taking hold of the hand that's always extended to you. The hand that's waiting to dip you in the living water and raise you up to a new way of life.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Lisa,

What a beautiful family you have. This is my first time to read your blog and enjoyed what you have to say about healing. My adult son needs healing from a drug addiction that I was not aware of until last week. You prayed for him earlier on Wendy's post and I thank you for that. I am leaning on the Lord's peace during this difficult situation that our family is going through. I also have four children, all boys. The one we are praying for is my second son. Thank you once again lifting him up.

Blessings!
Deborah

TRUTH SHARER said...

Loved your 'tired of?' paragraph at the end. Sums it all up. GOD - He has an answer for every problem!

Choosing JOY,
Stephanie
[JESUS - the One I Worship]