home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, June 15, 2009

The Cliff

Driving to the Gateway Retreat, my friend Loretta and I kept joking about how we were on this amazing journey with the Lord and it felt a lot like driving off a cliff. The feeling we both had in the pit of our stomachs was like we were suspended in midair waiting for a parachute to open.

Saying yes to God is a thrill mixed with a little adrenalin. There's the wait. The time between when you say yes and when He does what He says He will do.

That's what we're referring to as "the cliff."

I know my God well enough to know that when He asked me to speak, He already had a word He wanted to deliver. With or without little ole me, His purposes will be fulfilled. After all, He's God. His word will surely be heard by those who wish to listen.


Back in April, I told my friend, Loretta that I wanted her to come with me and pray for the ladies at this retreat. I felt like God wanted to minister to the ladies of Gateway and He wanted to use her to do it.

She told me very quietly that she'd think about it and let me know. After a little conversation with God, she said yes. I was excited!

Just a few days before the actual retreat, I called and asked Loretta to lead worship for us.

Her humble response was, "Well, I'm willing but I've never done that before."

God mightily showed up, pulled a wonderful weekend together from our hectic, technically challenged lives and changed hearts. Maybe both of ours more than any ladies in attendance as we relied on Him in new ways. Together.

God orchestrated a prayer team of some of my closest friends and retreat buddies. These ladies don't just love retreats. They love the Lord, have a deep, intimate, daily relationship with Him and have a passion to impart God's healing hand to other women.

Each of these women have experienced major healing in their lives. And I've been there to cheer for them! Each of these women love me unconditionally. They've known me for many years. One, my mother and the other, my college roommate.


And Loretta. Loretta is a friend I've known for years and with whom I've shared many deep heartaches and victories. However, we've not done much daily life together.

This weekend changed that.

All weekend the song by Steven Curtis Chapman kept running through my head, "Saddle up your horses. We've got a trail to blaze through the wild blue yonder and God's amazing grace...This is the great adventure."

Then the famous Thelma and Louise scene over the cliff.

But that was only because of the car.

6 comments:

Kathryn Taylor said...

Wow! There is Ashley. Where is she now?

I am so proud of all your are doing. Isn't growing in the Lord an exciting adventure?

Laura said...

Lisa--

I've been missing you too! Life is crazy and I've had some ups and downs lately...

Looks like you are on an up! What a blessing to have such a great opportunity and share it with so many special ladies in your life.

Off a cliff? Hmmm, more like soaring through the sky on eagles wings! You go girl!

LisaShaw said...

Aww, Lisa this is beautiful. I know that you and all the ladies were filled to overflow in God's presence.

I like your defininig of the "cliff". Loved the photos. Wow Loretta is singing her sweet heart out!

I wish I could have hugged you via the photos. My prayers still continue for you because GOD has even more for YOU TO DO IN HIS NAME!

I love ya!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I am so thankful the Lord brought us together and knew, if we were willing, could do amazing things. He has birthed a new beginning in you to share with sisters. I love you, friend. Love, Loretta

Tea With Tiffany said...

Love the pics. Sounds like an amazing God experience at the Gateway Retreat. Glad all who were asked said YES. I know there is blessing when we obey..

Beautiful!

Lora said...

I'm so thrilled you shared the photos and highlights of your trip and speaking engagement. The beauty of the Lord is resting on you.