home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, May 11, 2009

We're Walking Where?

Last week was pretty crazy. I was really tired. I got a little discouraged. I took my eyes off what was eternal and started to look at my circumstances. They can be rather overwhelming at times.

Though this life is temporary, and that includes my present place in life, it can seem endless at times.

I called a friend and asked for prayer. She listened. She prayed. She texted me this, "Your purpose isn't in where you end up, but in how you live on the road to the destination."
Just seeing those words. Written. In black and white. Spoken. From a friend. At just the right time. Made me weep.

Encouragement accepted.

I got up, brushed myself off and continued walking.

It seems I want all the answers before I even ask a single question. I want to know what the end is like before I've seen the beginning. I want the whole picture before I start drawing on the canvas. Accepting that I will only know in part until I reach heaven is crazy-hard. If I lose sight of this journey's true destination I'm destined for disappointment. Every.single.time.

I'm not very good at waiting. I'm even less good at committing to something I don't fully know or yet understand. I'm becoming more good at this.

I'm spending less time in the question-asking place with God and more time in the accepting-what-I-do-not-understand place. The things that I so deeply desire and am obviously still waiting for...do not hold the paralyzing power over me they once did. Looking toward the One guiding me on this journey removes the fear that once held me captive. Looking toward my destination helps me walk.

To my destination.

To my destiny.

Looking toward Him helps move me forward.

Remembering this. "The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalm 37:23-24

He is my destination.

My destiny is beholding Him.

3 comments:

B His Girl said...

I think your going somewhere with this kind of thinkin'! Faith is being SURE of what we HOPE for and CERTAIN of what we do not SEE. I see your branch growing : ) B

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Awesome, Awesome!! Keep pressing on!

Bryan and Elise said...

Thank you for this post. It is so easy to get off track! I am so confused as to what God is having us do after this year and why exactly He called us here in the scheme of things but reading your words and the words of Jesus challenged me even more to rely on Him. You should read my post I just wrote before reading yours!