home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Picking up mid-sentence


Have you ever heard someone say that their old books are like good friends? Last night I discovered that my old friends are like good books.

I met with some friends that I haven't gotten to visit with in a loooong time. I drove to an old friend's new house and curled up on the couch like I'd been there a million times. I was brain dead, an hour late and preoccupied because my children weren't all in bed yet. And it was well past bedtime. My friends didn't mind. They were just happy to see me, hug me and let me listen to their rambling.

When I'm curled up on my own couch with a good book I've laid down during a busy season and have just picked up again, I'm re-immersed after just a few sentences. It only takes one descriptive word to capture me and drag me right back into the plot's center. That's how it is with old friends. When life gets crazy you just add a comma. Last night's chatter began with a lower case letter.

I'm so thankful.

5 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

I so enjoyed you curled up on my couch...I have missed that and I am glad that we can pick right back up!!

Love you friend.

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

This makes me want to call my friends. Thanks for the reminder that I need to make the effort, even when life gets busy...or maybe BECAUSE life gets busy.

Only a few more months and WE get to meet! Can't wait.

Love,
Sandy

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Lisa Smith,

Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
site!! Amen & amen! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

Billy Coffey said...

"When life gets crazy you just add a comma."

What a great line. I add too many periods, I think, when a comma would do much better.

Loved this post!

Lora said...

What a sweet blessing to visit with old friends.