home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, May 04, 2009

My Dreams are Blooming




We've had a busy couple of weeks. Nice. Different. Busy.

Rounding up the end of year festivities is always fun. Family parties and outings where we actually get to sit and talk with the folks we've served with, coached with and cheered with is lots of fun. It's also very revealing...

I learned of many antics my children participated in throughout the semester. Some initiating, some following and lots of opportunity for learning took place. I've spent the last two weeks punishing for past offenses and trying to impart life lessons.

I want my children to be effective leaders, submissive followers and Godly influencers. Whether they are iniating, participating, discipling or playing I want them to know they represent Christ and to feel the weight of that responsibility. Trying to teach them a now heavy burden will eventually become a light and very welcome yoke when Jesus steals their whole heart is not only humbling, it's impossible.

We had one such discussion yesterday. Both children involved took their consequences humbly and repentitively. I was encouraged. Seeing repentance in their little hearts is a blessing that I don't always see, unfortunately. They're all strong-willed, my kids. Discipline invites them to defy, seriously. Dr. Dobson wrote the new and improved version of The Strong-Willed Child with my children in mind.

The latest round of back-punishment happened after our AWANAs end of the year ceremony. I was incredibly proud of them. They each learned over 150 verses this year. Alyssa got her Sparky award to signify three years and three books completed, quite a lot of verses memorized! Memorizing an entire book of verses was challenging with our schedule this year but they all three did it! Julia finished her first Truth and Training book with Bible studies and memorization activities. Even Hunter completed his book this year even though he can't read all the verses yet, he can say them!

I have been begging the Lord to let His Word, living and active with the power to change lives, sink deep into their souls, motivating them to turn towards the Lord.

After, said punishments, we were sitting around the dinner table. Alyssa asked me what I would wish for if I had one wish. I told her that was easy. I wished that my children and my whole family would choose to love God with their whole hearts and serve Him for the rest of their lives.

Alyssa looked me in the eye and said, "I think your wish is coming true."

She told me that she loved God so much her heart was full. She had been telling me for days how she was trying harder than ever before to do the right things and be responsible. But to hear her confess a whole-hearted seven-year-old love for her Savior made my heart leap for joy.

Lord, may the seeds I've planted, watered and cared for so gently grow deep roots as they look toward the Son. Amen.

"I have no greater joy than this, to hear that my children are living their lives in the Truth." 3 John 4

4 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, that's some tender time around the table. You are sowing good seeds, friend, and the blooms that are yet to harvest will not only surprise you, they will bless you! I see the blossoms of my older sons (20, 18) and pray for the same in my younger children (8, 6). It's been hard to raise children in two different generations; I don't have as much energy as I used to, but I have more understanding of how I want to see this "thing" work itself out.

Raising godly kids is not only possible, it's probable when done so through the light and life of Jesus Christ.

Keep to it, mom. You're doing a great job!!!

peace~elaine

LisaShaw said...

Amen! What a beautiful testimony Lisa. Nothing greater than for a Mom to hear and see the walk of her children with the Lord.

Bless you dear sister. Love the photos! You are a blessed woman and I know you know that. Love ya.

Billy Coffey said...

Wow, that was a great story, Lisa. It's a hard job raising kids to be Christ-like nowadays, and especially to raise them to feel teh weight of their responsibility as His ambassadors.

I agree with Alyssa. I think your wish is coming true, too.

Wendy Blight said...

Lisa,

I know your honest words today will be such an encouragement to so many mothers with young children. I think when we have bouts of disobedience with our kids, we can become discouraged. Then...God, knowing our hearts, provides precious moments like you had with your children that reveal He is at work in our midst. Thank you for sharing from you heart. You blessed me today!

Wendy