home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, May 25, 2009

Lessons Learned in the Rain


Last night our family went out to dinner. A small thunder shower erupted while we were eating. As we opened the door to leave the restaurant a refreshing cool breeze greeted us.

As we were driving home, Andrew spotted a rainbow.
Rapidly scanning the sky I spotted its dim hues. Now trying to direct four children to catch a glimpse of a dimly disappearing rainbow can be quite a task. Especially amid all their chatter.

As soon as I could, I pulled to a stop and directed all their eyes out the back window. Julia was first to spot the small bow. Alyssa quickly followed then patiently directed Hunter's eyes until he was able to briefly see its magic.

Palmer could not turn his head because of the restraint of his car seat. As soon as we pulled into the garage, we all jumped out of the car to see if the rainbow was visible from our drive.

The sight waiting for me was a treat to the eyes! A huge, brilliant, vibrant every-color-of-the-spectrum-visible-rainbow greeted us.

The lesson of the rainbow's awesomeness was not lost on me. What could barely be made out in the moving, crowded car filled with distractions was unmistakably larger-than-life as we all stood silent and still taking in its wonder.
"Be still, and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Alyssa and Palmer took off running down the driveway. As thunder cracked I beckoned them to the safety of the garage. Hand-in-hand they came skipping back as Alyssa lovingly exclaimed, "I took Palmer to see the rainbow...And he can see it!!!"

As the lightning began to flash and the rain began to fall, one by one the children and Andrew all fled to the house. When one particularly long roll of thunder sounded, very loudly, I ran out into the rain to grab Palmer.

I paused slightly to imprint on my heart his expression of delight and wonder at the discovery of his first rainbow. Just before I scooped him up and whisked him away, my three-year-old boy-wonder stood with his chubby, little finger pointed high above and exclaimed, "Mommy, did God make that rainbow?"

Through my tears, I hugged him tightly and whispered, "Yes, son, He did."
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

2 comments:

Christiana said...

Such precious children you have. What a gift.

Thanks for sharing their hearts with us.

Laura said...

wow, Lisa! What a God-moment!

Beautiful!