home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

complete.utter.silence


Last night I was reminded why I used to run. Why I loved it with all my heart at one time in my life. I began running regularly when life was cra-zy. I had an extremely stressful job with minimal support. I was overwhelmed each day to the point of paralysis. I started suffering from migraines. I became depressed. Exhaustion claimed my weekends and responsibility weighed me down really, really low. Tears were my best friends. All forty jillion of them.

I began to run each afternoon. After a few short weeks I was running for an hour each day. Sixty minutes carved out of my day where no stress could touch me. No conflict could pull at my emotions. Failure was trailing somewhere far behind me on my well-beaten path.

Sixty minutes gave me the strength I needed to stay in that hard place as long as I did. Sixty minutes of silence gave me the focus I needed to hear the spoken word that clarifies the written. Sixty minutes of nothingness inside my head brought positiveness to the surface. Sixty minutes was all it took to prioritize. Shoving the junk aside for what is really and truly important.

Sixty minutes.

Last night all it took was twenty minutes.

I loved the silence.

I love complete.utter.silence.

I seek it.

I crave it.

Twenty minutes.

What is happening in that twenty minutes is nothing short of miraculous. I'm not talking about me running without stopping. Although that is miraculous. What happens is in the silence, I disappear.

I cease to be me. My life fades. My problems fade. My requests fade. My responsibilities fade.

I have found myself to see what the psalmist so frequently repeats, "Help us for the glory of your name. Save us and forgive our sins for the honor of your name." (Psalm 79:9)

I have no other reason to be but for the glory of your name, Lord. I run for your name and renown. Save me, help me, make me successful for your name's sake.

To give you glory. Because of who you are. For your name.

In the silence it becomes clear. Crystal.

1 comment:

Shonda said...

Oh I love it! I never ran before, but the time I jog became one of my favorite times of the day. It's usually with a friend, so I don't have that quiet time, but this is the second post I've read about running and time with the Lord so perhaps a message is trying to reach me. My friend has been gone this past week and I've experienced that quiet time mentioned and have enjoyed it too. Everything for God's glory!

Blessings to you!
Shonda