home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rain in the Dark


I am at the beach. I heart the beach. I love sand, sea, surf and sun! But, today it is raining. Pouring really.

For the past couple of years the Lord has been taking me deep on a journey of brokenness. Not that life has dealt me tough suffering of any sort. I am healthy, have a great family and a relatively cushy life comparatively speaking.

Although I'm not sure I have really become any more broken than I already was, I am certainly learning to embrace the brokenness that has always been there. I have quit trying to hide a broken lady behind pretty clothes, cosmetics and "just fine" relationships.

Living in this fallen world has left me broken. Living in this fallen world will continue to touch me in unkind ways. My God is near to the broken. My God heals the broken.

My God became broken so that my brokenness would appear beautiful and useful to Him.

So today I am not disappointed in the rain that falls. I welcome His presence that comes riding on the wind and the refreshing that comes in the spring rain.

Rain was not in my plans for a beach vacation but it was in His plans and as the palm trees sway, almost to the point of brokenness, I see their beauty waving before my eyes. Had there been no wind, I might find myself eyes closed on the beach missing their very presence.

I find my own weakness become more visible in a storm. And when I am weak He is strong.

A few weeks ago God taught me this. I was in my kitchen one afternoon and He told me to grab a flashlight. I did. He said, "Turn it on." I did.

He said, "Does it work?" I had to turn it around and stare into the glass for a long time to see if the batteries worked because the house lights were on, the windows were open and the sun was shining.

He said, "Now turn the lights off." I did. The light became more visible. He said, "Go into the closet." I did. The tiny flashlight that was barely visible in the sunlit kitchen illuminated the entire closet.

The Lord spoke again, "That's why you've walked through darkness."

When we walk through darkness His light illuminates everything around us. The world needs His light to shine. If I never have problems large or small, those around me may not see His light shining brightly.

"In the same way, you should be a light for other people. Live so that they will see the good things you do and will praise your Father in heaven...God once said, "Let the light shine out of the darkness!" This is the same God who made his light shine in our hearts by letting us know the glory of God that is in the face of Christ. We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves." Matthew 5:16 & 2 Corinthians 4:6-7

10 comments:

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

That's beautiful Lisa. Simply beautiful!

LisaShaw said...

Boy I love this comment, "I have quit trying to hide a broken lady behind pretty clothes, cosmetics and "just fine" relationships."

The Lord speaks to us in every situation even on a rainy vacation day :).

You have a very warm and real nature Lisa. I like that about you.

Love you.

B His Girl said...

You see alot Lisa. May the Son continue to shine His light in you Lisa. B

Melanie said...

Lisa!
I'm so glad we got to meet in person this afternoon.
I pray all goes well for your family.
And I do hope tomorrow is bright and beautiful. Enjoy your stay.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Becky said...

I stopped by to thank you for the nice comment you left on my blog last week. I'm so grateful to be able to go to She Speaks.

This post was beautiful. It made me miss the ocean, and it reminded me of Mercy Me's song, "Bring the Rain." Thank you for the reminder.

I hope you have a blessed vacation! : )

Warren Baldwin said...

I like how you emphasized, "This broken world." That explains the pain, heartache and dislocation we experience in this world. I content myself with the thought, "This is not how it is supposed to be! And it is not how it will be when the Son returns!" Good post.
Warren

Yolanda said...

Very beautiful and beats with honesty and becoming who you are.

Love ya!

His Hers Ours and Autism said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
His Hers Ours and Autism said...

I love you sweet sister. Broken is beautiful. There is something broken in all of us. Broken is real life living. I ran into a friend of mine the other day, and she had clearly been crying, bawling, actually. She said, "We all have family problems, don't we?" The truth is, we are all broken in one way or another in this fallen world. Your candidness makes you approachable and comforting to others that may be trying to hide behind those things you mentioned. Broken is beautiful.

Joyful said...

Lisa, our Pastor shared a verse from Isaiah today that fits in well with this post. Isaiah 50:10-11, "Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the word of his servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God. But now, all you who light fires and provide yourselves with flaming torches, go, walk in the light of your fires and of the torches you have set ablaze. This is what you shall receive from my hand: You will lie down in torment."

God's light alone is our guide. May He continue direct you in every way.
Hugs,
Joy