home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Shield


"And Thou, O Jehovah, [art] a shield for me, My honour..." Psalm 3:3

But you, O Lord, are a shield about me and the lifter of my head. The chorus from my youth sings in my head. Reading this verse brings to the surface some questions I have. Prayers I've been praying lately that I haven't quite had the courage to pray aloud. Some private matters between the Lord and I.

Trying to not give them life by speaking them aloud, yet trying to fight them on my knees knowing full well that my battle is not one easily seen with human eyes. So, I've been meditating on parts of Ephesians 6 that I have memorized. I've been praying that I'd be fully armed, ready for the battle, standing firm.
Knowing that I need the Lord in this circumstance. Wondering if He's calling me to action, revealing a strategy to pray or simply calling me to battle, I seek Him. My standard response laid before the Lord. "Here I am Lord, use me. Speak Lord, your servant is listening."

Sometimes the turmoil I struggle with is minute, silly even, to the innocent onlooker. But even the trivial issues must be settled for my soul longs to whisper. It is well.

The revelation I seek is Him. The revelation of I Am that I Am. Jehovah. He is everything to me. The shield of faith is You, Oh Lord, a shield about me. You yourself quench all the fiery darts of the enemy that so shamelessly attack the mind. Protect me, surround me with your unfailing love for Perfect Love casts out all fear.

"...above all, having taken up the shield (thou O Jehovah) of the faith, in which ye shall be able all the fiery darts of the evil one to quench." Ephesians 6:16
Yes, Lord, I'll take you up. I'll choose you when I'd rather choose fear. I'll choose you when it's easier to choose worry. I'll take you up and lift you up in my thoughts and in my prayers. Stop the fiery darts of the enemy as I lift You up Lord. I will raise my hands to You as I lift your name.

9 comments:

marina said...

you sound just like me I have been battling the mind as well taking everything down and casting down wrong thinking allow my thought be form the Lord, try to be more positive their have been some hurtful things said between my best friend and I and know I just stand still in the Lord know that I have done all I could to repair the damage.
have a bless day my firend and you are so love ") marina

Joyful said...

Yes, He too is concerned with the "trivial issues". I think our closeness to Him is often revealed in our surrender of the smallest detail that others could justify or excuse.

Needing Him as my shield too,
Hugs,
Joy

B His Girl said...

I saw the sign and had to read even though it is time for me to exit the computer. I was thinking about a green sign with Faith on it yesterday. God provided it today in you. He is tooooo much! I am putting on my shield to face today. Thank you Lord for sweet Lisa. B

Sit A Spell said...

I have enjoyed my first visit here today. You have a beautiful family and a yearning to know Him more. Thanks for sharing.

Bless...shell

Kathy S. said...

He is my hiding place, He will surround me with songs of deliverance.

He prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies...

As I meditated on that this morning, I pictured a band of savages surrounding me with drawn spears, and I was sitting there at a table with the Lord giving me the Bread and Water. No fear because He is near. Now I ask Him to help me live like that!!

Great encouragement Lisa!

LisaShaw said...

Precious Sister I stand with you as FAITH is indeed our SHIELD. I said a prayer for you. I love you.

Lora said...

Sweet encouragement you give today. I stand with you shoulder to shoulder in the battle raising our shield of faith.

Billy Coffey said...

Of all the nasty things in this world and all the powers that Satan has, I've learned that it's ME who is often my worst enemy. My thoughts, my mind.

And the thing is, the only way I can win is if I give up and let God fight for me.

Great, great post.

Warren Baldwin said...

Hi, I linked here from Billy Coffey and Wellblog (or something like that).

I like your statement, "The revelation I seek is Him. The revelation of I Am that I Am."

The "I am" statements of Jesus enthrall me. I have preached them several times and hope to do so again. They are powerful. One of the most powerful stories: when the soldiers come to see Jesus and he says, "I am," they fall to the ground. There is power in that statement.

Your statement is something to think about, too. That is a good prayer for all of us.

Well, thanks for letting me visit your site. This is the only post I've read, but it was a good one.