home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Flesh and Blood



Last Sunday at Grace we had a demonstration of a traditional Jewish passover dinner. It was incredible. Really. Everyone talked about it all week. So much was learned, conveyed and reverenced in one hour.


Last night around the dinner table, Andrew led us in our own little passover dinner. We didn't have all the traditional foods but we did have bread and wine. He read God's Word, explained communion, led us in a short teaching and we partook together.


"He took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.” "After supper he took another cup of wine and said, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you." Luke 22:19-20

I then read the Easter story in The Jesus Storybook Bible. As soon as I read about Jesus being broken for our transgressions, I began to weep. I cried so hard, I scared our children.


I was overcome with thanksgiving for many reasons.


I was reminded once again of what He has done for me. Period. I know if there had only been me, He would have still come to earth, died a horrible death and would still be preparing a place for me.

Just me.


Taking communion is such an intimate time with the Lord for me. I find such peace and joy preparing my heart for the act of breaking the bread and sipping the wine, taking the representation of His body into my own. I love the signifying of how much I need Him in me to truly live.


He has rescued this ordinary girl from a life of falling short by His great sacrifice. Participating in the fellowship of communion with my family in such a private setting touched me deeply.

I was just overwhelmed with gratitude for God's presence in my family, around my dinner table, in my husband, in my children. Just incredibly overwhelmed.


Lately, the Lord has had me meditating on the fact that with Him, broken is very beautiful. My brokenness allows Him to be seen through my cracks. This is such a humbling thought.


Last night I saw His brokenness before me anew. My brokenness would just be brokenness, failure and misery without His brokenness.


His brokenness fixed my brokenness.

His brokenness is very beautiful, indeed.


His scars evidence that He lives.

He is risen!


"But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed." Isaiah 53:5

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

AMEN and Father in Heaven, I am so unworthy yet my heart is overflowing with thankfulness.


Blessings upon this RESURRECTION SUNDAY Lisa, as HE LIVES IN US and praying He comes to live in those that I love and care about with-in my own family.

Beautiful words you have penned here....Lovingly, Yolanda

LisaShaw said...

Beautiful message.

What a precious and awesome day it is in our Lord. His love is overwhelming and amazing.

Bless you and your family on this Resurrection Day!

B His Girl said...

Thanks for sharing this personal moment Lisa. It sounds like God poured Himself into the moment with you. I felt that singing today in Church. He has redeemed this ordinary broken woman too. I was flooded with thankfulness. He is with us. May we share the things He has done for us with others. I pray God's Presence will continue to shine in your house. B

Joyful said...

Weeping with you...as I ponder not just the Christmas Christ and the Risen Christ, but the Crucified Christ.

Hugs,
Joy