home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Obedience and the Rock


"I did everything you said," my daughter whined from the backseat. Still, here we were late and unprepared to softball practice.

That's when I turned around, looked her in the eyes and asked, "Are you sure?"

"Yes," she answered in a whiny tone.

"Did you come the first time I called you?"

"Well, I was coming but first..."

How many times have I been here with God? Crying out to Him in a whiny voice, "I did all You asked."

I have always taught my children obedience is three things. It is immediate, joyful and complete. Anything less is simply disobedience. Pure and plain it is sin.

I think that's what happened here in Numbers 20 "So Moses did as he was told." (verse 9) This phrase hit me between the eyes. In other places we see phrases such as, Moses obeyed God but here Moses did as he was told.

Then he is punished. "But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust me enough to demonstrate my holiness to the people of Israel, you will not lead them into the land I am giving them!” (Numbers 20:12)

I've always thought this a little harsh. I mean, punishment for leading those rebellious Israelites. Punishment for all Moses sacrificed. Seriously, punishment?!?

But as I read this story this time, it was different. I saw something that I couldn't see until I was faced with it everyday as a parent. Moses did as God said.

Just doing it is not obeying. That's the revelation I received today. That's the conviction I felt today. That's the lesson I will teach today.

Today as you go to The Rock for a drink of water, don't just do as He says. Exercise joy, immediately, fully. Exercise obedience.
"Now you've got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, I'm on the right way. " Psalm 16:11

3 comments:

Shonda said...

Oh this is such a good post! I needed to read it. The Lord has been dealing with me on the same thing.
Love & blessings-
Shonda

Joyful said...

Lisa, thanks for reminding me that it's more than action, it's also attitude!

Praying my obedience will be immediate, JOYFUL and complete!

Hugs,
Joy

Karen said...

Ouch. Too often obedience looks like reluctance, whining, resentment.

Something to work toward...