home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, March 19, 2009

No Inquiries Please

"Do not fall into the trap of following their customs and worshiping their gods. Do not inquire about their gods, saying, How do these nations worship their gods?" Deuteronomy 12:30

I am totally captivated by people. All sorts of people. People I'd love to get to know, celebrities, people who live differently from me. I love all the crazy reality shows about peoples' lives. They are so interesting to me.

Let me interrupt by saying that I can't even tell you any names of these shows currently because I do not watch them anymore. I'd like to share why.

I remember when my girls were very, very young one asked me if she could get her belly button pierced. She was around two, if that. Living in a college town, she began to ask everyone if she could see their belly buttons. Again, living in a college town there was a good chance she'd see a jewel there.

Although my husband and I were slightly bothered by this, we had no answer. We did not know how to explain this was wrong other than to tell her that asking to see covered up places is not polite and focused on modesty and appropriate touch issues. We both felt uneasy but could not explain it. Through prayer God answered us and showed us why.

He led us to His Word. "Behold, I am sending you out like sheep in the midst of wolves; be wary and wise as serpents, and be innocent (harmless, guileless, and without falsity) as doves." Matthew 10:16

One of Webster's definitions of innocent says, "having or showing the simplicity or naiveté of an unworldly person; guileless; ingenuous. uninformed or unaware; ignorant"

Not only was I convicted to stop entertaining too much information on how other's live life contrary to God's Word, I was convicted as a parent to not answer all of my children's questions.
Thankfully they were still so young at the time that they hadn't asked too many questions!
As they get older, I want to protect their innocence and help them to remain pure as doves.
It was a chilling thought to me that reading a magazine or watching a documentary could jeopardize the state of our purity.

It was at this time I stopped reading any literature but the Bible for a season, turned off daytime television and forced my brain to just not go there. "We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" 2 Corinthians 10:5

As I ran across this warning to the Israelites as they were on their way to the Promised Land, I felt the Lord calling me to a renewal. A renewed commitment to protect my mind, my heart, my children and my home from an inquisitive spirit. He wants us to go to Him for wisdom. "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding." Psalm 111:10

He will show us what stays in, what goes out and what needs to be shut down in our minds and how to answer our children's curiosity. Let us take an active stance in the fight for purity.

3 comments:

Joyful said...

Lisa I kept thinking of Micah 6:8 as I read this post:

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Inquiring of the Lord,
Joy

Edie said...

Amen Lisa! I stopped watching tv shortly after I became a Christian 18 years ago. The Holy Spirit just kept revealing how contrary it was to the Word of God.

Now I find myself concerned about what my grandaughters are absorbing and how to deal with it. I am praying.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Lisa, wonderfully written as always and as a mother of a 5 yr old who loves watching American Idol...this gives me a lot to think about and digest...