home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, March 09, 2009

My Story Monday--Some One to Believe

To catch up, click here .
Growing up I often heard the phrase, "He (she) just needs someone to believe in him (her)." This phrase would be repeated as people close to me saw one of us kids not living up to our "potential" in certain areas. Through its repetition, I learned that a mentor who believed in me was something highly desirable and to be closely cherished. One of these people would save me, rescue me, propel me into my most desirable future.

Each time I heard "The Phrase" a deep longing was stirred in my soul...Someone who would understand me and just by knowing me would enable me to reach the highest heights. If I could just find "the one", the coach, the teacher, the friend, my dreams would come true. Accolades, praise, recognition and popularity were in my reach.

I wanted that strong connection with everyone in my life. I wanted undying support and loyalty, expected it, from coaches, teachers, friends and family. When they didn't provide, because they were well, ahem, human, I would be crushed. Dreams shattered. Goals fallen short.

"She just needs someone to believe in her." The phrase would echo through my mind, my broken heart and through the depths of my searching soul.

What I perceived in my childlike innocence was that no one believed in me. No one appreciated me. No one valued me enough to take the time to get to know me. No one was there to push me to my potential.

The truth was that no person could ever become my hero, my rescuer, my savior. Every relationship in my life was doomed to failure because of the increasing pressure I placed on everyone to help me, support me, profess undying loyalty and devotion to me. I was hurt over and over again in every relationship in my life. I was in a desperate and fruitless search for someone to believe in me. As I began to realize this, hopelessness loomed on my horizon.

How would my dreams ever come true?

The reality of my life is that I have family, lots of family, tons of family. They believe in me. They pray for me. They want my best. They do. Yes, they are human. But yes, they believe in me.

Another reality is I have, have always had, lots and lots of friends. They believe in me. The distances between us change and the frequency of our visits change due to circumstances. But yes, they believe in me, support me, are loyal to me. They are also human. They let me down lots but not because they don't value our friendship. Just because they're human and that's what we humans tend to do.

I've had many coaches, mentors and teachers who also believe in me. Believed in me when it was tough because I was an awkward adolescent or headstrong teenager. Their believing helped to shape me. It didn't save me, rescue me or suddenly set me on the summit of life but it did help me to keep climbing upwards.

Although, that's a lot of people doing a lot of believing, they're believing never seemed to fill the void in my soul that longs to be known. As a matter of fact, the more of voices of belief in my life I had, the more of a failure I felt like. Oddly even as I acquired some of the things I thought I always wanted, I felt even more alone. Even more cast aside. Very, very hopeless. I had believed a lie. That a person's support and encouragement were what would propel me to success in life.

The truest reality is that although, I love my friends, family and mentors and value their support, I had some One to believe in me all along.

I had the One who made belief possible believing in me. As a matter of fact, He made that the biggest sacrifice ever to ensure I reach my potential.

He died for me.
He rescued me.
He saved me.
He set me free.
He taught me what my dreams really were.
He showed me how to reach my potential and holds my hand as I climb there.
He's taking me to high places and dispelling the myth. Because, you see, "She doesn't just have someone, she has the One to believe in her."

The only One she needs.
"Suddenly, God, you floodlight my life; I'm blazing with glory, God's glory! I smash the bands of marauders, I vault the highest fences. What a God! His road stretches straight and smooth. Every God-direction is road-tested. Everyone who runs toward him makes it."
Psalm 18: 28-30
"But you, Israel, are my servant. You're Jacob, my first choice, descendants of my good friend Abraham.I pulled you in from all over the world, called you in from every dark corner of the earth,Telling you, 'You're my servant, serving on my side. I've picked you. I haven't dropped you.'Don't panic. I'm with you. There's no need to fear for I'm your God.I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you. Count on it: Everyone who had it in for you will end up out in the cold—real losers.Those who worked against you will end up empty-handed—nothing to show for their lives.When you go out looking for your old adversaries you won't find them—Not a trace of your old enemies, not even a memory.That's right. Because I, your God, have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go.I'm telling you, 'Don't panic. I'm right here to help you.'"
Isaiah 41: 9-13

10 comments:

Sheryl said...

I am amazed at how much our LORD has done for us. As we draw closer to Easter I will just sit in awe at the sacrifice He made for me. He paid my debt.

Blessings!

Joyful said...

"Because I, your God, have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go.I'm telling you, 'Don't panic. I'm right here to help you.'"

Thanks for this assurance today Lisa.

Hugs,
Joy

Yolanda said...

I am so thankful for My Savior.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Lora said...

Lisa, I have had what I call "Superman Thinking" and your picture and post just made me think of it! And it was part of the devotion that I had for last night.

Bless you dear one for your prayers and praises to the Lord. I'm sending a hug across the miles.

Deanna said...

beautiful post

Jesus is our ALL in ALL! took me a good while to learn this truth!

blessings :O)

B His Girl said...

I love the firm grip. He carries us to new heights better than Superman. But I will say Up, Up, and Away...one sweet day. B

Renee said...

At one point in my life I wanted this too! But now I am so thankful that He showed me that belief in myself and others is idolaty. If I believe in myself I've gained nothing but if I just believe in Him I've gained everything!

Melanie Dorsey said...

I believe what we really all want is to be seen as valuable...someone of worth.
I never got this until I was absolutely convinced that had there only been ME, Jesus would have done all He did just for ME.

Thanks for sharing your "Mondays." I look forward to reading these posts.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

His Girl said...

I am flabbergasted at how far behind I am... I only just now read your story from beginning to this point. It's a beautiful story, and we have much in common- especially this end part, the part where we get to celebrate that we are Redeemed!

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

We are so much alike, it's freaky.

Love you. And I barely know you. I do, but I don't. You know?

Sandy