home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hidden Presence

"I will not remain with you any longer unless you destroy the things among you that were set apart for destruction....Hidden among you are things set apart for the Lord. You will never defeat your enemies until you remove these things from among you." Joshua 7:12-13

In line with spring cleaning my home and heart, I've been resting here in Joshua for the last couple of days. Examining the heart is well, hard work. Just as a thorough cleaning of our homes by cleaning windows, baseboards and ceilings can be backbreaking, cleaning out our hearts can be heartbreaking. Just as sorting through the junk in our closets and drawers can take a physical toll, sorting through the junk stashed in our hearts can take an emotional toll.

The cleaning out questions are tumbling through my mind. Am I holding onto anything God wants destroyed? Is my inventory causing devastation or damage to myself or others? Are destructive patterns, habits and behaviors at home in my heart?

Beyond the purging process, I am examining things deemed worth keeping. Why is this important? What is my motive in retaining it? Is its purpose to bring Him glory?

After my heart is clear of the clutter of destructible objects, things formerly hidden become useful and beautiful. Behind a pile of cheap rubbish, under a layer of dusty sin treasured gifts lie dormant. Ridding what causes destruction frees consecrated gifts to be used for God's glory.

Lord, examine me, clean me, use me. May You be glorified in my heart and in my life. Thank you for revealing hidden treasures to me, in me and for me. You are the treasure. Bring spring's life to what winter's storm has left sleeping.

3 comments:

Kathy S. said...

I love your parallels...yeah, time for spring cleaning... my heart is an ongoing project...

Daily cleaning helps, but like my house, I "leave" things in a room for later (usually on the table or floor in the basement), and then face a greater challenge than if I had taken care of the things in the first place.

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the kind words you left at my blog.

Excellent analogy. And really, does anything feel as good as finishing up a good spring cleaning (in our homes AND our hearts)?

P.S. Love your header. Your kids are adorable...joy just radiates from their precious faces.

Joyful said...

Lisa, I was just catching up on your last 3 posts. Loved reading more of your story and my heart was so blessed reading of your wonderful weekend with your husband.

This post too holds such wealth. "Bring spring's life to what winter's storm has left sleeping." I don't desire anything to remain dormant in my life either. May He breathe fresh life back into parts of my slumbering soul.

Love ya Lisa. Thank you for your faithful prayers for my family. Trust you are enjoying a wonderful day!

Hugs,
Joy
PS. That verse from Proverbs you inquired about...I think was from the New Century Version.