home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

He Completes Me

Our weekend get-a-way was wonderful. It was restful. It was romantic. It was refreshing.

From the time I was a little girl, way before Renee Zellweger's line in the movie Jerry MaGuire, I wanted a man to complete me. When I lived by myself pre-marriage I would dream of how much easier life would be as a married person. It would be so wonderful to feel "complete."

Then I married Andrew. It didn't take me long being married to figure out that marriage was certainly not the thing that would complete me. Marriage seemed like a huge mountain I had to climb. A mountain I was just approaching the base of with a summit so high I couldn't even see it for the clouds.

As quickly as I married, I realized that God had paired me with my match. We are both equally opinionated, equally stubborn, equally capable of handling ourselves. Andrew and I even joke about it saying that Jesus is Lord but everything else is up for discussion. At times it seems that every decision we've made has been a compromise. For me, learning to submit has been a difficult challenge. For him, learning to gently lead has been just as difficult, I'm sure.

So, this weekend just being together was so awesome. Every time Andrew asked me if I was having a good time, I just teared up. I knew we had come full circle when he didn't try to make me stop crying but just smiled taking it as the compliment that it was.

I loved how I felt so filled up with happy I had to cry to let some out to make room for more. I realized that feeling a deep dark sadness had prepared me to feel this type of happy. I grew an appreciation for it.
Experiencing a reminder of our date fifteen years earlier was such a sweet reason to celebrate how far we've come. We thanked God together for the joy we now share and acknowledged Him as the reason we were even there sharing it together. Recreating our awesome date without the nervousness, being married, appreciating knowing each other deeply and intimately was incredible. Seeing the depth that's come into our relationship. Being confident that we'll still be celebrating in fifteen more years and many more after that.

Realizing that being married has taught me in a tangible way what the type of love that 1 Corinthians 13 speaks of. Being thankful that I've had to meditate on each part and purposefully choose to live it out. Showing gratitude that I've experienced this type of love. That when I've least expected it, my husband has exercised patience, forgiveness and unselfishness with me and in return I've been humbled to reach higher, become more and live better.

Just being comfortable walking hand in hand down the river walk without any words spoke to my heart. Completing one another's sentences may be something other couples take for granted but not us. We see that for the miracle that it is.

I love what I see when I gaze deeply into my man's eyes. It is there that I see the One that completes me. He completes us. He is completing me.

"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Yay for marriage!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Pat said...

Hi Lisa,
I found you over at Joyfull. Your weekend sounds like a blessing. Isn't it good when God holds our marriages together long enough to get to the good part!
Blessings,
Pat

Lora said...

How sweet to see How the Lord and the Truth of Phil. 1:6 is being beautifully worked out in your marriage Lisa! To hear your sweet words of "He is completing us" is a treasure and gift from the Lord.

Blessings to you both! The pictures are precious! And seeing some familiar places on the River Walk, makes me want to be there again...

Yolanda said...

Very beautiful friend.

What actual day is your anniversary of 15 years? Our is next week on the 31st.

:-)

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

I am so glad that y'all had a great trip. I love what the Lord has done in your marriage!!

B His Girl said...

When it is so good and all you can do is cry....I know the feeling. May God cover your family with His feathers and be your forever refuge. B

Renee said...

Awesome! What a great celebration of love you two are! Looks like you had a wonderful time.