home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The Night You Spoke


"Speak!" You spoke the word to my heart. I silenced the fear, quenched the questioning and willed the response. It took all the courage I could muster, "Okay..." I responded.

Then six days later the invitation came. You are so good.

Your command to speak has left me speechless.

A dream of seventeen years, a vision seen by a young college coed, a desire placed deep within is being born. A hard, winding and narrow road slowly yet steadily traveled to get to this point of complete surrender. I am finally in a place where for an instant, in the instant You spoke, the doubting ceased and my mouth moved without hesitation. I spoke. An answer. To You.

I wanted to shout from the rooftops, scream at the top of my lungs, "Yes, oh yes, my Lord!" But the word that took my everything to choke out was simply , "Okay."

Oh Lord, You know me. You have known all along that in Your time you would use me.

Yesterday I was just another girl with a dusty old dream. I was worn out, giving up and looking down when You rescued me. You have taken my old dream and crafted it for a new purpose. Rescued that dream from a deep, dark place in my soul and shed Your light on it. You have freed me to move at Your command, to demonstrate my love for You.

No, I'm not as free as I long to be. You see the me I see when I close my eyes. The me I see in my mind's eye worships freely, dances gracefully and lives largely. But today, You have freed me enough to utter one simple, willing word, "Okay."

I am so thankful You are not finished with me yet. Today I feel as if You are just beginning. Today I feel hope that You will use that dusty, old dream in a shiny, new way. Today I feel the life You have breathed into my destiny. Oh, how I have waited. Waited for Your arms to lift. Waited for Your voice to command. Waited. On You. My Lord.

You see, I had to become broken.

And broken...is very beautiful.

(photo insuremeblog.com)

9 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Lisa, not sure if you have visited my blog yet this morning, but you won my book give-away! Congratulations! Would you mind sending me your address so I can mail it to you. My e-mail is Deuteronomysix@aol.com. Thank you again for stopping by my blog!!!

Blessings, Wendy

B His Girl said...

Oh...i really don't have time to leave a real comment, but i will later. i have something to say...b

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.
Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. Psalm 40:1-4

You have waited and you have been faithful...the Lord blesses your obedience.

Love you.
Kathryn

Melanie said...

"...You will use that dusty, old dream in a shiny, new way."
Amen, sister!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Renee said...

Sometimes it is so hard to know that we must be broken in order for us to see what it is that we really need. To be broken is to be humbled. What a hard lesson that is for me sometimes! Love you Lisa!

Melanie said...

Lisa,
I just saw the comment you left on B's blog (turtle coat). You used the word "diva." You might be interested in checking out my interpretation of a "diva." See it here:
http://dotellmel.blogspot.com/2008/10/speaker-teacher-writer.html

Joyful said...

Lisa, you are dancing with the King of Kings. The intimacy of this post is breathtaking. "Okay" is a beautiful word of surrender and obedience in God's ears.

Thanks for sharing your heart,
Joy

pastor trent said...

Awesome Girl. I love reading your blogs and look forward to what the Lord is doing in all of this

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Hi Lisa! Thanks for visiting me. It's no coincidence that your speaking about surrender and brokenness tonight. I've just spent the last two hours working on an upcoming talk I'll be giving to a group of women. The theme I've chosen?

"Living Stones from Brokenness." Your words here have confirmed something in me tonight.

Isn't our God just the best?! He's continually working on my "yes"...my "ok" and asking me to trust him with the rest.

So glad to "meet" you. God bless your life dear one; I see that you have many young ones in your quiver. I have 4...(19, 17, 8, 6). They sure keep me busy as I'm sure yours do also.

peace~elaine