home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My Mother's Heart


I love the story of Moses' birth (Exodus 2:1-10). It's one of my favorites. It speaks to my mother's heart very tenderly.

Can you imagine having a baby, a Hebrew baby, a baby boy and knowing that if he was found he would be taken from you and put to death? Knowing that God had destined your child for greatness and trying to hide him? I can't imagine having a baby and fearing for his life. I can't begin to imagine trying to keep his cries silent. I can't begin to imagine how I would live life while trying to hide my newborn son.

"Seeing that Moses was special" (Exodus 2:1) implies that Jochebed had a special, deep relationship with God. She knew His voice and heard His calling on her son's life. Hearing God's voice made her brave enough to do what she had to do. She hid Moses for three months, probably never taking her hands off of him as she constantly silenced his cries and comforted him. Then she did what was probably the hardest thing she'd ever done. She took him from her hands and placed him in God's hands.

I can imagine Jochebed's shaky hands as she weaved a basket and lovingly placed her son inside. I see hot, silent tears coarse down her cheeks that turn to gut-wrenching sobs as she kisses her son goodbye and wipes his soft cheek tenderly. I see her wet lips kiss his silky, downy head. I imagine her knees knocking and buckling under the weight of her grief as she places Moses in the river. Maybe that's why Miriam stays to watch, Jochebed is unable to under the heaviness of her sacrifice.

I see my own young girl in Miriam as she watches through the grass, spying on the Egyptians. I hear a boldness that belies her years as she suggests finding a Hebrew nurse for the child. I wonder if Moses' cries stopped at the sound of Miriam's voice. Did Pharaoh's daughter suspect anything?

I love how Moses was separated from his mother for such a short time (I'm sure it seemed like an eternity to her) and then God reunited them...with pay, under royal protection.

I am so happy that Jochebed didn't ever have to forget what his hot, little head felt like under her arm as she nursed her baby. I am so thankful that this ordinary Hebrew family showed extraordinary courage, bravery and vision in saving this tiny baby. I am so thankful that this mother changed history and fulfilled a destiny much larger than herself by listening to the voice of the Almighty and daring to obey. Jochebed. A savior of Moses. The tiny baby that would one day deliver God's people. A deliverer that would foreshadow our Deliverer. Another tiny baby born in a different time to another young mother who would recognize and respond to God's voice. Who would go to great lengths to save her Son from death. Until...She would remove her hands and place Him in God's hands. Where He would die to deliver us.
Moses speaks to my mother's heart.

5 comments:

Chatty Kelly said...

This speaks to me, as a mom, too. I can't even imagine!

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's nice to meet you here in bloggy land. :-)

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Oh Lisa, this was so beautiful. Well written and so much truth. I've thought little of Moses' mother...thank you.

Wendy Blight said...

Lisa, thank you for stopping by my blog today and sharing your struggle with fear! I am so thankful God used the lesson He taught me to encourage you...God promises in His Word to comfort us so that in our comfort we can comfort others...I praise Him for doing that today! You have BEAUTIFUL children. Blessings to you.

Lora said...

Your post speaks to this mother's heart - beautifully written Lisa.

Stretch Mark Mama said...

Just wanted to say "hey" to a girl who shares my full name! I clicked over here from Brian Seay's blog.