home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Angel of All Animals




My seven-year-old daughter is rightfully nicknamed the animal angel. It's been awhile since I wrote about my pet daughter.


She always corrects me when I talk about animals, saying, "Reptiles are animals too!" Her favorites are lizards, hedghogs and well, just pick a random animal and ask her if it's her favorite. She'll say no but tell you whichever other random one is at the moment. Seriously.


She knows more animal trivia and facts only seen on kid animal documentaries than anyone I have ever known. Seriously. She absolutely does not get this from me! I was afraid to pet a dog until I married Andrew and came home to a dog after my honeymoon. No matter how much you think about living with a dog, doing it is very, very different. Trust me.

Tonight in the car we were talking about school, reading biographies, the coming softball season, when the next soccer game happens, which outfit is warm enough to wear in the morning yet cool enough to survive in during recess, how many Awana bucks we still need to earn, what we were having for dinner...you get the picture. Alyssa interjects matter of factly, "The two animals I am most like right now are a hound dog and a racoon."

Conversation ceases, I mean it comes to a record screaching halt. We've learned to just pause and look at each other when she says stuff about how she wishes she was an animal or become one when she grows up but tonight we all stopped talking and looked at her. A hound dog?!? What?

Well, when she chews on her lip, she frowns like a hound dog. Can't you see it in your mind's eye? I can. I did. So we just shrugged our shoulders. She was right. She does kinda look like a hound dog.

And, she can see in the dark well enough to use her hands. Just like a racoon. Who can argue with that?

"You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord..Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it" Psalm 139:4 & 14

6 comments:

Laura said...

She ain't nothin' but a hound dog! Sorry! I couldn't resist! If she's a hound dog, she's the cutest one I've ever seen. Isn't it amazing how their minds work?

His Girl said...

I love when parents really KNOW their kids. It's one of my most favorite things in the whole world... well done, sis.

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

She and Alex are still the same...Alex is growing a tail (string) right now he is a chimpanzee whih makes him think it is ok to climb on the kitchen counters, because you know, he is a chimp.
He told me that he was made for animals.
I love their little minds.

Luanne said...

What a sweetheart! Don't you just wish you could see how their brains work!

Yolanda said...

Do you ever just crack up, right out loud? Life with children is never dull.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

And our daughters...also separated at birth (two years apart). I call my daughter "the animal whisperer". I say all the time, she loves animals more than humans, and given the choice, she'd be one.

Funny,
Sandy