home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, January 12, 2009

Why?


As I read about Abraham sacrificing Isaac, I wonder why. Why would God ask that of him? How did Abraham do it? Why didn't Isaac overpower his 110-year-old father and run for his life? Why?

Then I see an old man chosen by God before the beginning of time who knew his God's voice, trusted his God's provision and never doubted his God's goodness. "I have singled him out so that he will direct his sons and their families to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just. Then I will do for Abraham all that I have promised.” Genesis 18:19

This was yet another way God would use Abraham to pass down the knowledge of God's ways to his sons. This was yet another opportunity for Abraham to allow God to use him and provide the grace to obey in a seemingly crazy call of God on one man's life to fulfill a destiny for a world of people. Are you starting to believe in the "ripple effect"? How God used these ordinary men to carry out his legacy is amazing to me. It is hopeful to me. It is grace and light and life to this ordinary gal.

I think of my own kids. I hear "why" much more than I would like. I'm teaching them to trust me to obey without question or hesitation and to believe that I am good to them. I want it to be second nature for them to believe God like Isaac did. I want the type of grace Abraham experienced when he was able to calmly and confidently bound Isaac to the alter. I need the reassurance that comes from the fact. God uses ordinary men...and women. He uses people like me to change the world. He uses people like me to raise Godly children. He uses people like me to make his destiny known. He uses people like me to bring his purposes about in the world.

Thank you, God for trusting me with the legacy. May you find me worthy as I receive your grace.

2 comments:

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

You are growing wise in the ways of the Lord!

Lora said...

I want radical obedience in my life and in the darlin' lives of my teens. Your last paragraph made me think of the Experiencing God study - I guess it's because I've just heard Henry Blackaby; but I appreciate your words of encouragement that God uses ordinary men...and women!
Blessings!