home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, January 30, 2009

Whispers in the Chaos




I live in Aggieland. I have the pleasure of knowing college girls, of having them all around me. We love us some Aggie girls!

Aggie girls come to my house and offer adult conversation when all I've said for the last ten hours are sentences on a five-year-old level. Aggie girls put up all my Christmas decorations when I'm six weeks pregnant, hosting Christmas dinner in five days and need help, major help. Aggie girls play chase, read books, ride bikes, wash dishes and fold laundry. Aggie girls love my kids like crazy and babysit on short notice.

I've always been "big sister" to my Aggies. You know, the coolest, hippest, funnest big sister type just away from home. But the seasons are changing, ya'll. Yesterday I was told, "I'm adopting you as my mom." And I didn't even feel old! I felt honored. I felt a new season shouting its presence. I felt excited. I still feel cool, hip and fun. But now I also feel like the coolest, hippest, funnest and especially the youngest mother ever!!

I have a couple of Aggie girls that are hanging out with me this semester (Hopefully they won't go and graduate on me anytime soon!). Hanging out is code for mentoring. Mentoring is a fancy word for doing life with each other. They are both so incredibly precious. One said something to the effect of this, "I love God so much!!! I just need someone to show me what to do." Have you ever heard a sweeter, more sincere invitation for God to show up and stir up a searching heart?

I have a feeling God is going to make Himself known in a big way in all our lives this spring just like He did for Job...from the whirlwind. I love closing my eyes and imagining God's presence swirling around Job as God himself challenges Job to right thinking.

I've never heard or seen a whirlwind but I don't imagine them to be calm or quiet. I imagine them to be wild. Webster's says they are: any circling rush or violent onward course. Violent. Rushing. I am thinking Job did very well to hear God's voice in a violent, circling, onward rush.

Do I hear God's voice in the whirlwind of my life? Because my life is certainly that. There is rushing onward all around me. A violent course of busyness and expectation calling my name each day. I only hear God's voice in the whirlwind when I quiet myself so that I can focus on the swirling air and listen to the course it is taking.

Here's one such time. Over the crazy, chaotic, filled up, sped up break that we called Christmas, a friend of mine was coming to town to visit her family for just a few days. We both have children and know how tough it is to see friends and really talk when children are involved especially in the midst of Christmas festivities. We were both praying. We both were sure God would bless us if we could figure a way to meet. We began to search with all our hearts for a way to be still during the whirlwind of the season. That way ended up being way early on New Year's Day. And, God's power showed up and He spoke and ministered to us in an amazing way!

His voice is a whirlwind. With one word our hearts are stirred. The wind of His words changes our life's course in an instant. God orchestrates wonderful blessings when we learn to simply distinguish His whisper in the midst of the storm.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Lisa,
You're definitely a kindred spirit. And what a cool picture of the heart and swirling wind...
I don't live near you but we almost moved to Austin...does that count?
I'm in sunny Florida although it's raining today.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Kathy S. said...

forgive my ignorance, but what is Aggie? (assuming a college?)

Aside from that...I can relate. Mentoring is such a blessing isn't it? It sounds like God is bearing fruit through your life in the girls.

Hearing the Lord...that is what I am praying for my son this weekend as he goes to a youth retreat. That he will hear the Lord. Through the whirlwind of social life and techno-fun...

And that he will want to be a mentor.

The Cobbs said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for visiting my blog! :)
That is really cool about the college girls; I want to become a sort of "mentor/encourager" like that, too!
Eryn
PS Hope you are keeping warm... :)

B His Girl said...

How wonderful to be a part of what God is doing in their life!! I know they enjoy coming to your home. b

Laura said...

Lisa,

What a blessing you must be to these sweet young ladies! How precious how He is using them to bless you too. You inspire me so much, friend. As I told you before, I work with the middle school kids at our church. I want so much to make a difference for these kids, a few of which do not know Jesus yet. I'm just gonna keep on "showing them what to do". I just loved that!

Thanks for your sweet words on the Wellblog this week.

:)Laura

Angie Love said...

I love you.

Heart of a Ready Writer said...

I love the idea of God whispering in the storms of life, if we will but listen.

Blessings,
Linda

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

I love that description and picture also!!! What a great illustration of all that surrounds us as we try and protect our hearts.

I love that you are able to be a mentor to younger girls! What a neat experience that must be!

Blessings,
Lindsey

Renee said...

Ah Aggieland...I'm jealous that you are still there! Trey's company might be working a project there we will see. Hugs!

Karen said...

What an apt post for a Monday morning! A Monday of what promises to be an extremely hectic week. I need the reminder to stop and listen for Him.

Enjoy the day!

Nise' said...

Lisa, thank you for stopping by today and introducting yourself. It is nice to meet you too. I so want to hear Him during the storms of life instead of frantically trying to be delivered from them and missing what He has for me. Looking forward to getting to know you better as we read through the Bible together this year.