home about speaking she cares resources contact

Saturday, January 03, 2009

This is The Day!








"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

Today is Grandmother's birthday. Some of my large and spread out family is having a party. This means lots of good food, lots of loud chattering, good guitar strumming and a heavy game or two of Skip Bo and Chickenfoot. Some might even toss a football around the yard. Good times.
Good times that have shaped me into who I am.
I wish I possessed super powers. Flying or time travel would be helpful right about now. But strep throat has me down and seven day trips over the week of Christmas has me a little less than eager to jump in the car for four hours, stay a couple and turn around and head back home.

I've said before that my Grandmother gave me more than she'll ever know. When I was a young girl needing stability, reassurance, acceptance and hope. Grandmother and her home offered it to me. Even though I know that taking care of a young girl was not in the retirement plans of a busy grandmother, she welcomed me. She never let me know if I ruined a bridge game or placed her at home when she'd rather been elsewhere. She taught me how to run a home, how to manage laundry and dinner. She set boundaries for me and played endlessly with me. Cards, swimming, counting pennies and reading books. Such wonderful memories during a painful time.

Thank you, Grandmother. Happy Birthday! We are celebrating you today by being a family. That's what you gave me, family.
Today I rise up and call you "blessed." You are truly praised among all women. I wish I was there to give back part of what you've given me.

I love you endlessly!!! XOXO

"For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." Psalm 100:5



2 comments:

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

~HAPPY NEW YEAR~ Just wanted to remind you the Happy New Year offer ends Mon. Jan. 5th at noon for the free 8x10 print. Spread the word for people to post and e-mail David Bowman by then :) Have a beautiful Sunday! ♥ Hugs! Shauna

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

You are truly a child of God! You are womb of my womb - my first grandchild and my love knows no bounds.