home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, January 19, 2009

Reunited and it feels so good...lalala


I wanted the reunion to be awesome! I had carefully and thoughtfully, as thoughtfully as one with four children chattering all the time can get, planned my wardrobe, my hair, my jewelry, my route to the metroplex. I had it all planned. I was leaving early, by myself!!, having dinner with my grandparents and then getting to the big Richardson Heights Baptist Church youth group reunion early...after all, there would many to see and hug.

Well, starting out I had very little time to pack. You just can't stand around thinking in a house with four kids, two dogs and one husband. As much as you want to, you just can't.

I left only 18 minutes off schedule. Set out for the funness of Dallas and promptly got lost. I ended up in Ft. Worth. It was okay, I needed a recent tour of cow town. It's been awhile.

I got to my grandparents an hour and 18 minutes late for dinner, had to wait another 45 minutes for dinner. That was okay too since I wasn't going to rush through any part of my time with them. I love, love those memories I have with them growing up. They nurtured me, took me to piano lessons (the ones my mom can't even remember) and let me sit on their laps (even when I got bigger than them). They pray for me everyday and we just had to sit and celebrate Hunter's profession of faith. They have seen another one of their 13 great-grandchildren come to know the Lord and start a life of following hard after Him.

After dinner was served, we ran back to their place so I could change. I had not completely packed. (I later found the items in my bathroom at home. You know, the ones that never quite make it to the suitcase...) I had a black shirt, black boots and a brown jacket. The jacket that hides my muffin top quite well. **sigh** I would've rethought everything from boots to jeans and jewelry without the jacket. Determined not to let this spoil the evening I continued on...only to realize that I had no hairspray or deodorant,

So, with flat hair, stinky pits, muffin top and saddle bags apparent, I went.

This is all really ironic because as I was trying so desperately to think about packing my outfit, the Lord spoke to me. "You should care more about how your heart has changed than your appearance." What good is a perfect face if my heart is not reflecting more of my Jesus?

I knew that hardly a person would notice how tight my jeans were or how gray my hair was or even how leathery my face is after all that tanning. ("If you can't tone it, tan it!!!") But, if it looked as if my heart had become hardened to the Lord, my friends would worry, they would be disappointed a little and they would surround me with love. I can say with confidence that my heart reflects his more today than it did then. It's a promise I have in scripture. "And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." Philippians 1:6

I can also say that Kevin Joyner looks more like Jesus too...David Whitson did. He walked right up to us talking and said, "Kevin, you've totally got the face of Jesus going on!" And, here's the picture to prove it.

Speaking of David, he's a pilot for Continental. He is proof that dreams come true. When he was 14 years old and probably even younger, he would always tell me he was going to fly someday. I am so proud of him.

I hugged my JoAnne Tanner and I cried. Still cry thinking of it. She is one of the many. The many young moms that worked in the youth. The ones we emulated. They had cute as a button children, loved and served the Lord and gave us gawky, gangly, awkward kids encouragement and love like we couldn't find anywhere else. These 30 somethings sacrificed time to make us feel welcome, loved and to give us hope in the future. Hearing her say how proud of us she is brings such healing and freedom to a place that loves The Heights so much. There were more...Where are you, ladies? I miss you and love you!!!

I loved seeing Parker Eng and Andrea Dougherty and other long lost friends. Those who witnessed God doing miracles in my heart. Love those folks!

Seeing the women that I loved so much, poured into so much, prayed for and spent many long hours with during my college years and have lost touch with was wonderful.
They are all so beautiful...Jeannie Harr, Tiffany Lemke, Kami Ford, Kathy Lineberger (she traveled so far),
the list goes on...I will not lose touch again.

The Lord told me in advance to prepare for the high highs of seeing those long loved and so influential after a long silence. He also told me to prepare for low lows of grief over the twenty years. How can it be? I haven't seen most in 15-20 years. Some briefly at my wedding...But not enough.


I loved being that girl again, for one night. The girl with all her dreams ahead of her. The girl who is still on a honeymoon with her God. I love feeling the hope that was reborn because of it. I loved remembering who I am. That I am still the girl I was then. All the dreams that I won't give up on. The honeymoon that continues just in a deeper, more mature way.

I loved seeing the people that were a family to me when I needed that and couldn't get it all were I was looking. I loved seeing that most of the guys in our youth group are in full time ministry.
I loved seeing the girls as mothers.
I just loved all of it. You all make me so proud! I loved hearing some saying how this whole reunion stirred up the call of God in their lives they heard long ago. It made me think of the verse we claimed as our own in those days. "I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs." Isaiah 41:18
I think being reunited is good. It's very good.

8 comments:

Tiffany Hendrix said...

Lisa Meador. I love you. It was great to be in a room of people whom you've loved, lost, found again, now love again but this time know who you are. To be the same girl but in a much better place. I too will never let that many years go by; as a matter of fact, I'm hoping to see you in the next couple of months! :o)

Amy said...

You looked and are beautiful. I am proud of you and am a much better person today because of you. I love you and am sorry I was not there with you.

Joyful said...

Thanks for sharing the precious memories of your reunion. Looks like everyone had a special time.

"You've totally got the face of Jesus going on". Could there ever be a better compliment? Oh Lord, I pray that someone would see Jesus in me today.

"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Cor.3:18

Thanks for all our understanding and encouragement to me. I so appreciate your comments. Have a great day!
Blessings,
Joy

Luanne said...

This reunion looks awesome. Just a glimpse and a tiny preview of the one we will have in heaven, hey? In heaven, we can meet all those bloggy friends that we never got the privilege to meet on this earth!! I loved your thoughts on the first love, honeymoon love with Jesus. Oh, how I want to be there again!

The Mitchells said...

I will be honest and say that your fears are the same that I had...and mine kept me from attending...it won't next time.

Laura said...

You and your youth friends are beautiful! I can see the joy of being together written on each face. What a special group that must have been. Your words hearten me--as I am a youth leader now and so many times...so many times I get discouraged and wonder if it matters. you make me realize that it does, that it will, and that this work must continue.

Thank you for stopping by the wellblog and for your sweet words.

You bless me today.

Laura

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Oh I totally hope you can come on Thursday. The crowd during the day event will be small so we'll have lots of time to connect with our friends!

If you are there, please come visit me at the book table.

Hugs to you~

marina said...

wow !! catching up with your post what a great reunion with your friends looks like so much fun!!
so glad you where bless.
and you are right we worry too much about what we are going too look like and need to worry more how God see us. love marina