home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, January 02, 2009

Celebrate 2009!


***Update***As I was typing this, oh so seriously, my wonderful children, all four of them, were in Julia's room decorating and making a jillion Get Well cards for me. (I have strep throat.) They called me in, sat me on my "throne" and had Palmer throw the "confetti" cards over the top of my head as the older three held word signs up in the air saying, "I love you" and "Get well soon." So precious. So precious I started sobbing. I love my kids. Their cards are so sweet. One has hearts drawn on every visible space and says, "I love you sooooo... much!" One says, "I love you my sweet and pretty sunflower!" (I love sunflowers.) One is a picture of me holding one of my child's hands with labeling for sweet effect. Guess which child drew which card...***
I began 2009 by sneaking out of bed early, donning my new velour sweatsuit and heading to Starbucks to meet an old friend for a cuppa java. I arrived early so I could embark on my 2009 journey of reading the Bible chronologically.

Bev got me desiring to read chronologically instead of Genesis to Revelation. I ordered the NLT from Proverbs 31 and I got a message in my inbox from Wendy. (I ordered mine from P31. Lifeway has them on sale. You should be able to pick one up at your local Christian bookstore or I just did a search for one-year chronological Bible reading and found a schedule you can print out and join us.) So I will have tons of online company along the road. If you'd like to join, come on! It's not too late and don't worry about getting behind...it's always time to get in God's Word!

I will post once a week about insights, questions and ponderings I have gleaned in my readings. But look out, they may be a little disjointed. I usually ponder the things I write about for many weeks if not months before they appear here. I'm just an unusually deep and crazy thinker...

Back to the coffee...

I couldn't help but feeling like this was the perfect way to usher in the newness of 2009. Quietly. I was the only one at Starbucks until my friend arrived. Peacefully. Watching the darkness of night leave and the new morning dawn. Reflectively. Touching a deep place in a friendship that hasn't had the chance to go deep in many, many years. Thankfully. Reconnecting with someone who lives far away, works, mothers and lives a life much like mine. A life that sometimes takes every ounce of everything within us to stay connected to those under our own roof, those we see each day, those whose every need depends on us leaving virtually no time to go deeply with those we long to connect with all the time.

I am very blessed to have many "heart" friends. These are my girlfriends who I don't see much and I don't talk to often. They are the ones I send one word emails to containing the word, "Pray!" They are the ones I can text or leave messages for in my craziness and they don't need an explanation. They are simply "there" for me.

When I feel I've lost one of them, I grieve. The Lord is quite simply...restoring them to me, one by one. Okay, so it took us three hours to catch up, draw tears and retire to the car with the darkest tinted windows to pray so people didn't think we were experiencing a trauma with our uncontrollable tears and loud sobbing. When God does something amazing, He does it in a BIG way worthy of many tears (if you're a cryer) and worthy of many cheers (if you're a talker) and worthy of much praise. No matter who you are.

I started 2009 off celebrating God's restoration and redemption in an awesome way. I left Starbucks with life spoken to a dark and dead place deep in my heart. Feeling where there was previously numbness. Encouragement where tiredness had been prevailing. I received vision for 2009. Words spoken by a friend, a gift from my God that I was so desperate to hear.
Come. Celebrate 2009 with me!

3 comments:

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

God loves you and so do I!

Shonda said...

What a wonderful experience you had with your friend.

I'm reading the Bible again chronologically as well. It was such a great experience last year, I can't wait to see what is in store for this year. I found this link http://www.ewordtoday.com/year/ that gives different reading methods and versions of the Bible. I look forward to coming back to read what the Lord is showing you through His word!

Happy New Year and may the Lord bless you more than you can think or imagine! (Eph. 3:20-21)

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Celebrating 2009 with you my dear friend!!

Love you.

Kathryn