home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, January 16, 2009

Becoming a Blessing


Thinking of Joseph today and asking some questions. His reunion with his family must have been incredible. I imagine the guilt of his brothers being erased and the joy of his father being restored.

Then I remember Joseph's dream so many years before that day. Is this how he thought is would be? The Joseph that others bow before is so humble. The rainbow robe long gone was replaced with rags for a time. He actually became the brother his brothers desired him to be living in prison. Until a good God sovereignty lifted Joseph out of the pit with a loving hand just as He said He would.

So often we have dreams. We want to be used by God. We want our inheritance as Abraham's descendants and heirs with Christ. When God uses us, when those dreams come true, do they look like we thought they would?

Did Abraham think being the father of many nations would mean years upon years of infertility and barrenness?

Did Isaac think being a miracle child, born for the sole purpose of carrying on his father's legacy would look like his sons fighting and running?

Did Jacob think receiving blessing would contain living in fear of his brother or working and being cheated for 14 years?

The answer is emphatically, "No!" But these are snippets of lives of ordinary men picked by the hand of a sovereign God to demonstrate his grace throughout all generations. There must have been many, many times these men cried out to God asking him how long. The result was their characters were molded to reflect his goodness and mercy as their destinies were being fulfilled.

As I wrestle with what God's sovereignty and grace look like in my own life (After all, I do have a reunion this weekend!) I am reminded as I measure all the places that still fall short that this is only a part of the story. May the fullness of his grace be revealed as my story continues.

5 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

I have been hearing in my heart "in this world there will be many trouble, but take heart I have overcome the world".

I want to keep thinking to myself that I am ready to be done with these trials, but God is still molding me and using me.

This was good to read.

Joyful said...

I have been missing out on such wealth here in your blog. So glad I decided to come over today.

I too am reading the chronological Bible and posting daily (www.ponderinginhispresence.blogspot.com). Your thoughts today have so encouraged my heart. It's interesting how everyone can read the same passage and focus in on such different aspects of God's Word.

Ordinary people chosen by the hand of God to show His grace for generations - so true! Oh that the Lord would refine my character as He fulfills His dreams in me.

Have a great time at your reunion!
Blessings,
Joy

Becoming Me said...

Wonderful and poignant post, Lisa. Thank you!!

Luanne said...

I loved your comments on our reading today--and I love the opportunity and accountability to read the Bible through the year with you gals!

Karen said...

I just love the story of Joseph. I love the fact that he "finished well." No matter what his circumstances, he was faithful and the Lord was with him. I think he makes a wonderful role model. It reminds me of part of the scripture I am memorizing..."the LORD is good to those whose hope is in Him; to the one who seeks Him;"
I love seeing scripture lived out!

have a blessed weekend!
karen