home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Going Too Far

Before today's regularly scheduled post...go vote if you haven't already. That's all I will say about the awesome privilege we have as Americans. Don't take your freedom lightly. Exercise it by voting today...Be heard!


The third in my Prodigal Series.

"So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way off...he ran to his son." Luke 15:20

The question I am asking myself as I read this is, "How far is too far?" In a relationship where there have been hurt feelings, misunderstandings, rebellion, resentment, abandonment and rejection, how far is a long way off? I have studied this, read commentaries, different translations, pondered it, meditated on it and prayed about it. The conclusion I've come to is no distance is too far to mend a relationship.

This is what God showed me on this journey of becoming more like the father.

Friends, we all have them. But the friends I'm talking about are the soul sisters, the ones who get you and even more specifically, the ones who used to be BFF's to you and for some reason a space crept into the closeness. Secrets told, betrayals, bad decisions, sin, jealousy, you know the friendships I mean.

Then you see a mutual friend, "So and so misses you," she says casually. A long way off...

I've begun to use these opportunities to patch old friendships. God is all about redemption and healing. He wants to mend your broken friendships.

"Oh, I could never trust her again after what she did to me. She'd have to earn it back," you say. The world says trust is earned. God says trust like this is a choice.

"I don't want to be around anyone who treats me like that," you say. The world says we don't have to forgive. God says love covers a multitude of sins and keeps no record of wrongs.

"I just can't be around anyone who doesn't believe in me," you say. The world says, "You go, girl." God says don't be dependant on anyone's approval but his.

Make a hard choice. Go find someone who's a long way off and run to them. Go too far for someone you love today.

3 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

So good.

I do miss you...time seems to be the space that has crawled into our friendship. I am thankful that we get each other and we share the love of the Lord.

Angie Love said...

Patches that eventually change so that no one ever knows a patch was needed to begin with...

I have been reading in the gospels and the Lord has had me mending those relationships just this past month! I always think about laying an offering at the alter but before I can really offer it up I have to go to my brother and try to repair anything that needs mending...only then can I present my offering before the Lord.

Miss you and can't wait to see you!

Shonda said...

Stopping by to say "Howdy." I miss blogging with you.

Engrafted by His Grace-
Shonda