home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, November 17, 2008

Forgiven & Livin'


This is the latest installment in my Prodigal Series.

How often have I said, "I just want her to say she's sorry!?" When someone has hurt me, I want acknowledgement. I want her to know she's hurt my feelings and show remorse. I want my feelings to be known and understood. That's all.

It's not asking that much, really. Or is it?

After this admission, the reconciliation will be complete. I will be free to forgive. My feelings will be satisfied. The friendship can go on in an only slightly interrupted way.
If I'm to be more like the father, I'm not only not looking for an "I'm sorry" speech, I'm not even listening when it's coming. I'm way too busy celebrating!

The Message says this, "When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him. The son started his speech: 'Father, I've sinned against God, I've sinned before you; I don't deserve to be called your son ever again.'
"But the father wasn't listening. He was calling to the servants...And they began to have a wonderful time. "

So stop looking for that apology that may or may not come. Stop waiting for that friend to love you and instead love them, forgive them, accept them, bless them. Look toward their heart. Reconciliation is worth it.

The celebration is so much fun!

2 comments:

Shonda said...

Amen! It is liberating when we stop waiting on the other person and let go and love instead. Great post.

Engrafted by His Grace-
Shonda

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Oh how guilty I have been of this. What bondage it puts you in. We are forgiven, so we should live like it!!