home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, October 02, 2008

This Year's Drive

"Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up." Deuteronomy 11:19

We are currently using this book during our before school devotional time. It is a book published by Child Evangelism Fellowship and has a verse of the week followed by a one page reading with a couple of questions about the verse.

My girls alternate sitting in the front seat and the gal in the front seat gets to read this out loud on our trip to school. We take turns answering the questions and then we pray using the prayer tip for the day.

Last year I prepared a week's worth of verses and devotionals at a time for my kids. They were very specialized for us. If we needed work on our attitude, we chose five verses about attitudes and began our weekly carpool. I loved doing this! I loved preparing for it. I loved praying about which verses and I loved how God gave me just the right things to say and verses to use.

This year is a little different. There are three munchkins to get up, feed, dress and load before this can happen. There are three activities we are participating in each week in addition to our regular schedule. And, I'm finding it more difficult to be as prepared as I'd like each morning. So, I am using some material that somebody else wrote. It's good material. We are now studying the attributes of God. We are defining big words like sovereign and omniscient. We are talking about being holy and sinning and why we really need Jesus. Knowing God's character is awesome. Knowing our need for salvation is crucial. It is working and we are spending time in God's Word.

There is one verse for five days. My kids are saying that is boring but they are all learning the verse. So, memorizing and becoming familiar with scripture is always good. Having less to prepare is helping me be consistent even when I am sickish and don't get up as quickly as I'd like. I want my children to know that no matter how busy we are we can always find different ways to stay in God's Word and we always have time to pray no matter where we are or what we are doing. We keep the book in our car so we never forget it. We are without excuse!

What are you doing to get your kids in God's Word each morning? Please share.

2 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

I used to write my own devotionals and that was great, also applying them to what was going on in our lives.

I also like the devotionals by Josh McDowell.

I have found during the school year we do our AWANA books in the morning over breakfast and we work on the verses and talk about what they mean.

Then at night we have started sitting in a circle and praying. It is cool to hear them go back and forth.

I love it!!

katemcdonald said...

My son is only 17 months but I look forward to being able to share with him more in depth as he grows...

my mom and dad kept a very open dialogue with myself and my 6 siblings growing up..about faith and doubts and God and Jesus and the Bible..and we all know and love the Lord even though we are far from perfect... I loved that the time of 'devotions' never really had a beginning or and end...just an ongoing discussion...