home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Posing


I feel like a total poser.

You know, someone who's just not, well, authentic.

I am getting to know all these awesome bloggy people. It's so fun. Really cool how God can use the web to encourage me, connect me and teach me. No, it doesn't take the place of real life but it is pretty spectacular.

Anyway, those who know me in real life know my crazy, forgetful, unfocused and just plain nasty habits. Putting these bad habits in all their badness for the world to see is just a little unnerving to say the least. So, I tend to conquer the yucky and post about the victory. I look amazing. I have it all together. I'm a total poser!

I have a huge mound of laundry on my living room chair. It's laundry from the entire week actually. I rarely make my kids eat breakfast. I use hundreds of dollars in gas running them around in the afternoons and I'd rather pay full price at Kroger and never wait in line instead of cutting grocery bills by thousands over my lifetime by frequenting Super Wal Mart. And, when I hit my head putting groceries in the back of the Suburban...sometimes I cuss.

Shameful, I know but so, so true.

I am a human person. I hate the nasty habits but yet just when I kick one, another rears its ugly head.

Here's another truth.

I still secretly long to be popular.

Yes, I crave the day I have the homecoming queen or the quarterback in my Suburban and sleeping under my roof. I want to be the cool mom. Own the house where everyone hangs out after school.

Mad Libs. That's what $100 at the school book fair buys you. Lots of Mad Libs and Girlfriends books and scrapbooks and diaries.

The questions were fairly easy. Julia chronicled their answers. World-famous violinist or groovy, unknown guitarist? Easy. Guitar.

One day with President of United States or one hour with the Paparazzi? Easy, somewhat shameful but easy, paparazzi.

Flip flops or high heels? High heels.

Clothes or hair? Clothes.

Then the moment of truth.

Would you rather be liked by everyone but never popular or only accepted by the in crowd?

Everything in my head screamed, "Popular! Popular! Popular! In.crowd.No.Question."

You see, growing up, I almost ruined my whole life in my quest to be popular. Part of the "right" crowd. Accepted. Liked. Famous. The kid to be.

Now, as an adult I know that the whole question is ludicrous. The very idea of being popular is that you would be liked by everyone.

I also know that Jesus is all things to all people. Everyone. Every crowd.

I also know that the heart is deceptive and that the true me, the new creation in Christ, wants what God would want for me. The very idea of the in crowd is repulsive to my Lord.

Because this is what the "spirit" me says even though the "flesh" me doesn't feel it. It remains truth.

Therefore, I gave the correct answer.

Good parental reasoning, huh?

4 comments:

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

You are beautiful inside and out!

Renee said...

My how the Lord has been breaking me of the same prideful thoughts that sometimes want to bust forth and say look at me! He reminds me that it is not about me at all but about Him!

No, poplular is not in with Him at all! Thank goodness He is transforming our characters to match His great righteousness. The more He changes us the more "unpopular" we actually will become.

"And you will be hated by all on the account of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved." (Matthew 10:22)

Jenn said...

Laundry is one my issues as well. Our dining room table is coved in neat piles that need to be put away or hung up. Why do I have such a hard time getting it put up?

Great post Lisa!

Amy said...

You were the coolest person I knew and I was so "popular" to be your friend. I love you! Thanks for sharing and being transparant.