home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tic Tac Toe


Three in a row. Three good hair days. In row. In College Station. No humidity. Fifty-eight degrees at night. Eighty-two in the afternoon. Good hair.

I was tempted today to become furious or just simply frustrated at long, long, looong gas lines, empty, crowded and guarded grocery stores and crazy, bumper to bumper traffic all over town. When that crazy lady in that minivan made me back out of the super skinny parking lot into said traffic in my big ole' Suburban, I was able to quickly change my attitude to one of praise as I looked into my rearview mirror. Good hair.

It may be vain. It may be shallow. But a southern gal knows how to praise God for good hair!
Ahhh, the joys of blowing hair dry and actually getting it dry and having it silky and shiny and smooth with no creams, irons or potions.

So even with sketchy cell service, delayed texts, voice and email messages and many other small inconveniences, I am praising God for the little things like lukewarm pizza due to lines of evacuees (who we are ever so thankful to house), availability of gas slowly pumped into lots and lots of cars and low, very low humidity.

Like I said, good hair.

My in-laws called it a miracle straight from Heaven sent by the arms of God. I can only imagine how wonderful it was to wake up cold with no air conditioning in Houston in September. I can also imagine being cold in Houston in September with no hot shower to warm by bones. So, we southern ladies thank God for remembering us.

No humidity.

Good hair.

Gift from God.

Divine intervention in the midst of natural crisis.

We live in the south where the importance of good and poofy hair is passed from mother to daughter. Heck, it oughtta be a subject taught in junior high school. Southern girls are just like that. Tough times don't seem as hard on a good hair day.

We have our priorities straight down here in the south, ya'll. Yes ma'am, we do.

6 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Amen.

Curls...no frizz!!!

Love it.

Renee said...

Here's what I do on bad hair days -- I put it up in a pony tail. I guess every day is one because I ALWAYS have it in one.

Love you my southern belle!

Also, see my blog because well you've been tagged again!

Jenn said...

Important to remember the little things that can bring you joy in frustrating time!

I am doing Beth Moore's The Patriarchs with the Women of our church. Yesterday in her video she talked about her hair for almost
20 minutes - it was hilarious! We were laughing so hard - some were even crying they were laughed so hard. Gotta love that Texas hair.

Have a great day! :o)

Marina said...

Amen too!! I have good hair days too ") marina

Marina said...

these was a really good post! love, marina

Mom of Many said...

That was a hilarious post. The even funnier part, was I could relate. ; )

Melissa