home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Take a Hike, Ike!

**Please join us in praying for all those affected by evacuations and for those having to leave their homes behind without knowing if they will be able to return. Please pray for God to lessen this storm and for it not to do the damage that is forecasted.**

The hurricane is coming!
The hurricane is coming!

Those are the shouts my children were making as I picked them up from school. My phone had been ringing with people asking about us all afternoon already.

We really don't live near the coast but we do live close enough that our schools, churches and buses are being used to help evacuees.

All morning Andrew and I talked about the "overreaction" of everyone to this forecasted hurricane.

We were supposed to go to Houston for an event tonight and I have plans with my friend Sunny and her daughter tomorrow afternoon, for goodness sakes!

So, this afternoon when school was cancelled, our event was postponed and volunteers were called to work at our church which is being used as a shelter, I started thinking.

If our country had been this prepared for Katrina lives would have been saved. When we are warned by authorities and do not listen, the effects can be serious. I am confessing my nonchalent reaction to cries of officials to prepare for hurricane season. I am sure this means I live like this in other areas of my own life! Yuck! So, we are now committed to taking this seriously.
Even if not one single person takes refuge in our city's shelters, we are ready to help. We will stay off the roads and secure our loose outdoor items. We will serve those displaced. We will wait and we will pray. We are going to be prepared for a huge disaster even if Ike changes course or dies out because "better safe than sorry."

So, in case you're wondering, we are all fine. We get a day off school to help others who may need us. It is sunny, clear and veeeery humid. The calm before the storm is here.

I think our life is similar. Are we prepared for Jesus to come back for us? Have we tied up loose ends? Have we forgiven our brothers? Have we called on His name for salvation?

So, even if the storm never hits or even if it isn't severe, we will be found ready if it does hit. Whether or not my Savior returns today, I will be prepared!

I found a lesson in this calm. Did you?

Matthew 25:1-13
Parable of the Ten Bridesmaids “Then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like ten bridesmaids who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. 3 The five who were foolish didn’t take enough olive oil for their lamps, 4 but the other five were wise enough to take along extra oil. 5 When the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
6 “At midnight they were roused by the shout, ‘Look, the bridegroom is coming! Come out and meet him!’
7 “All the bridesmaids got up and prepared their lamps. 8 Then the five foolish ones asked the others, ‘Please give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’
9 “But the others replied, ‘We don’t have enough for all of us. Go to a shop and buy some for yourselves.’
10 “But while they were gone to buy oil, the bridegroom came. Then those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was locked. 11 Later, when the other five bridesmaids returned, they stood outside, calling, ‘Lord! Lord! Open the door for us!’
12 “But he called back, ‘Believe me, I don’t know you!’
13 “So you, too, must keep watch! For you do not know the day or hour of my return.

2 comments:

Shonda said...

Watching and praying. I want to be ready. Love & blessings-

Renee said...

Glad you are good!

Storms. Sometimes, unfortunately, necessary.

Isaiah 26:9 "For when your judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."

Stay safe! Love you.