home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Righteously Drained



The first week of school left me feeling snot-filled, scratchy-throated and bone-weary. I was drained. Not the bad spiritually, emotionally and mentally empty drained. Just a good physically exhausted drained.

Due to a quiet Friday night, an overnight stay at Lake Conroe and coffee, Claritin, Advil and the occasional Red Bull, I got rested up and am currently facing the giant called "Week 2." After a late night round of Spanish spelling, broken DVDs and girl drama, I find myself feeling very...well, drained, for lack of a better word.

During last week's drain game, the Lord led me to this verse, "The righteous shall live by faith." (Romans 1:17)

A short little sentence that seemed to hit me in the stomach and slap me in the face with its power. Living by faith seems a little "Sunday schoolish" to me. Do I live by the evidence of things not seen?

I began to think about what this means. My thoughts immediately went to Hebrews 11. "The Hall of Faith" features such men as Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses.

Noah obeyed God. Abraham believed God's promise. Isaac was the fulfillment of that promise. Jacob wrestled with God for a blessing.

And, Moses. He talked to God face to face, as a friend.

I pondered the power that the faith of the great men and women who went before me produced. I looked at my own life. My own faith. Sadly, I would say that my own faith leaks out as I live life. Living by faith takes effort. While I go about my daily routine, I get run down, stressed out and beat up. Even the faith that fills my heart and mind each morning as I meet with the Lord leaks out as I live. If I don't refill myself each morning, I get empty and die emotionally.

I often wonder if any of those mentioned as warriors of faith got beat down by life on a fallen planet.

Maybe. Just maybe they were a little like me.

When Moses felt overwhelmed by his purpose, God told him, "Tell them I am sent you." (Exodus 3:14)

When my faith is drained and it all seems like too much, I just need a fresh revelation of who God is to carry me forward.

When the house is a mess, the phone is ringing, it's time for football, gymnastics and soccer, there's homework to be done and dinner to be cooked, diapers to be changed, children to be loved and houses to be sold and I am saying (or screaming or sobbing), "I can't!"

God is here saying, "I am. I am already. I still am."

I tell them, "I am sent me."

3 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Praise the Lord that He is strong when we are weak and He knows exactly how much we can do and when there is more, He carries us.

Love you.

Renee said...

I, as of late, have been learning some incredible faith lessons. I was listening to some fantastic teachings on faith by Paul Washer. He teaches me that faith is knowing what God has said. He has given us reason to believe what He has spoken. Then I ask myself do I truly believe that God is good and that He does know what He is talking about? I do and so I walk by faith because I know that God is good and wise. My lesson still is to learn to obey because I can only do that if I trust. As Paul Washer said, the greatest act of faith is to look in the mirror of God's and see all the sin and the unbelief that comes with not having faith and still believe in God unconditional love.

What an amazing Lord and Savior we serve!

Jenn said...

I was sick too after the first week of school! Isn't homework so fun.