home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Exchanged


I saw a post here that got me thinking.

Jeremiah 2:11-13
11 Has a nation ever changed its gods?
(Yet they are not gods at all.)
But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols.
12 Be appalled at this, O heavens,
and shudder with great horror," declares the LORD.
13 "My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

This has always been one of my favorite passages so I decided to spend some time here meditating, pondering, thinking, seeking.

We have exchanged our glory for worthless idols.

Exchanged. Traded. Given in return for.

Glory. Wealth. God's character.

In us. Traded. For trash.

It's like having a beautiful diamond wedding ring and trading it for one from a gumball machine because we believe it looks prettier, sparkles more or that the person who gave it to us actually loves us more than one who would spend a huge savings purchasing a valuable ring for us.

Many times I have exchanged glory for belonging or acceptance by someone other than God.

I know me. Given half a chance, there are many days I'd trade my glory for a pair of shoes.

Glory for a fit of anger.

Glory for "my rights."

In an instant, a poor choice and all my glory is gone. God is not glorified and I wonder why I feel so empty and dry.

In an instant I am no different than the prodigal who got together all he had and squandered it in a foreign land. Only I am so much worse. I do it minute by minute without even realizing what I am doing. We all do.

This is not a new revelation. Romans 1:25 says, "They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. "

We have the glory of God in us. God. in. us. Yet, we trade it for so much less.

We give it away only to find ourselves standing, thirsty, at empty wells trying desperately to draw water from dust. Empty. Dirty. Exhausted. Fleshly and unglorified. We search for Living Water in the desert and try to drink from cracked pitchers.
Thankfully, his word says all we need to do is repent and draw near to him and his fullness will be revealed in our lives.

Instead of popularity and anger and shoes, I want to see him. When I seek him, I will find him.

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

5 comments:

annie's eyes said...

I love your post. You captured my point better than I. We yearn for things we yet not know. And then we wonder why everything in this world comes up short, feeling hollow.

I can't believe you live in College Station. That is our new home away from home. We are over there all the time building a farmhouse off Highway 30 towards Huntsville. We'll have to meet some time!

You have a beautiful family. I'll have to come back later today and visit your site more. Bless you this day. Annette

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Oh how I long to seek Him with all of my heart all the time. So often I let life and circumstances get in the way. I am thankful that His mercies are new every day and that I can draw near to Him.

Love you.

Renee said...

What a great word. Yes, this nation is consumed by idolatry and I believe it is the number one problem in this nation. There are so many things that replace God and it is disheartening to me -- even more that I see it in my own life! I think that misery is allowed by God to reaveal the idols in our lives. You hear of those that have it all yet feel so empty. Oh, a place that I do not want to be and so thankful he is breaking my idols!

Shonda said...

This is so well said. I like the imagery as it grabbed me. I can relate. I have traded the Glory of God for less far too often. I am so thankful for Jesus and the forgiveness of sins through HIM. I am thankful that He is faithful to forgive when we confess. I am thankful for a relationship with our Lord!

Engrafted by His Grace--
Shonda

Bev Brandon said...

Lisa, Jer 2:11-13 has meant so much to me over the past years and it is one I "go to" a lot. But your take on it was just beautiful. And I loved the photo with it too as a visual. We so try to make our lives work with empty cisterns. You did a great job and brought it right back to my mind and heart! Praying for you guys in the midst of the storm. Bev