home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, September 12, 2008

Day at the Museum



The kids and I recently took a trip to Austin to visit my dad and the Army National Guard Museum at Camp Mabry.

My dad is a retired Colonel from the Army National Guard. I have really wanted to take this trip for a long time. Somehow the thought of my kids staying quietly together at a museum after riding in the car for a couple of hours deterred me from my goal...

Anyway, I think it's so important to teach them their heritage. They have grandfathers and great grandfathers who fought and made sacrifices for their freedom. I want my children to understand the cost of freedom. It doesn't come cheaply or easily.







We had a great day and I hope they learned a little. The museum was so interesting. My favorite was a display of President George W. Bush's military career.


All in all, a little heat and craziness was a small price to pay for the valuable heritage lesson of our family and our nation.

In the wake of September 11, let us remember and never forget the cost of living in the United States.

2 comments:

Mom of Many said...

What an example you have set for your kids! And what respect and admiration it has shown your father to teach your kids the sacrifice he made...for them. I pray our children will teach that to their children too.

Melissa

Jenn said...

Sounds like a great day of learning and fun. My oldest has been asking lots of questions lately about WW1 & 2. It is important that we teach them we live in an amazing country and that they know our freedoms came (& still come) from others sacrifices.

On a shallow note - that is a cute skirt you wore that day. :o)