home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, August 18, 2008

Walking with Kids



We recently went to Sea World. It was crazy crowded the whole time. Like walking from the third ramp in Kyle Field after a really close game crowded.

All weekend I was terrified I would lose someone. Every time you took a step, you touched someone, someone you didn't know. Crazy crowded.

I found myself saying things like, "Listen for my voice so you don't get lost."

"Train your ears to listen for my voice even when you are distracted."

"Keep your eyes on me or you won't know where to go."

"Make sure you can see my at all times so you know what I'm doing and you can follow."

"Don't run too far ahead, even if you think you know where I'm going because you can still lose me."

"If you don't know what to do, ask before you take off running."

"Even if you don't want to go where I'm going, follow me or you'll get left behind."

You get the picture.

I've always thought about how we are to shepherd our children. But, saying these things to them was a great reminder and image of how we are teaching them to allow God to shepherd them.

I especially took notice when I kept telling the kids to train their ears to hear my voice and not to get distracted or they wouldn't know where to go.

All of it was a wonderful reminder of how we are to walk with our God.

Thanks, Shamu!

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27

2 comments:

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

What a wonderful comparison!

Tiffany said...

Hey ! This time I am marinating my fish just in italian dressing and I am going to put bread crumbs on it and spray pam and broil it... Sometimes I make a macadamia nut topping for it using coconut milk too . Josh and I love mexican we make our own most of the time too . We eat it about once or twice a week! I always have tortillas in the house!