home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, August 25, 2008

Patriotism


Something about the Olympics just brings out the American pride in me. I love it when an American takes the gold and the flags wave like crazy. My patriotism takes form in a lunatic-like madwoman chanting, "U-S-A-U-S-A!"

Sometimes my patriotism just swells up in quiet gratitude for the opportunities I have and the choices I can make with the freedom that surrounds me.

Other times my patriotism takes the form of tears. Heartbroken for the way other people around the world are forced to live makes me cry.

So when the Olympic count was in, Americans won the most medals but China easily took more gold. This didn't change anything. I am still proud to be an American. Even though the Chinese won more gold, I don't wish I was on "their team."

Long before the Olympics in Beijing started, the fact was established that it is better to be an American (in my opinion).

Just like it doesn't matter who appears to be winning this race we run as Christians. The fact was established long ago on a wooden cross that this is the winning team. In the end, on the day that counts the most, we win.

No matter how weary I get, I never want to forget whose team I'm on and what the final outcome will be. That should give me some serious energy for the days ahead!

"In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14:2-4

1 comment:

Shonda said...

Better to be on the winning team with Jesus...we know who wins! Let's go out and recruit new team members! I'm catching up on the blog and I hope to read about the missions trip.
:-)