home about speaking she cares resources contact

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Closing Ceremonies


Olympic season always makes me wonder why I like them so much.

My husband doesn't.

My kids don't really.

My dad doesn't.

It was a thought pondered much over the last two weeks.

I didn't get to watch as much as I'd have liked. Oh, I saw some gymnastics, some diving, some swimming and even some ping pong.

My favorite parts are when they spotlight a certain athlete who's chosen to be a medalist in the upcoming event and show a biography of his (or her) life. Then they show the race. I cry every single time. American or not. Win or lose. Happy or sad tears. Just tears. The Olympics bring the cotton out of my tear ducts for some reason.

The other day I figured it out. These sportscasters make all of the Olympians seem like normal people.

As I watched the ping pong medal match between Zhang and Wang (or something like that) of China, I realized very slowly that these athletes are anything but normal.

They give up their very lives for their sport and their country. They make moves to other parts of the country. Sometimes separated from their family for many years to train. They don't go to school like normal. They don't eat like normal, sleep like normal, exercise or even socialize like normal. They just aren't normal!

Then I remembered who I am, that I am anything but normal and what medal I am promised upon completion of my games. Along with my teammates, a crown will be mine on that glorious day He returns for closing ceremonies. My anthem will be sung by all of creation, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty."

"And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:8
More Olympic insights are sure to come as I run to catch just a little bit more!