home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Walks & Talks


Last night I had the honor of going on a walk with Alyssa. We got to run a couple of errands together and she invited me to take her on a walk later.

It was absolutely lovely. I will cherish the memory forever.

I heard all about her favorite movies. The Alyssa's Top Ten. Starting with number ten Pokeman, "even though I'll never see it because you and dad say it's bad but I just like it cuz those little animals are so cute." All the way to the top three coveted spots being held by "Lilo and Stitch," "Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch," and "Leroy and Stitch."

Anyone notice a theme?

I learned why she named her stuffed animals what she calls them. Sparky, Samuel B. Cookie and Angel.

I really had a great time!

An unexpected great time. Not that I thought I wouldn't have a great time with Alyssa. Just that I expected to be doing something not quite as great.

You see, I was planning on doing laundry today. There are piles. Miles of piles of it in my laundry room.

The girls have drama camp this week. They were going to be good and tired because it starts early. I was going to do laundry while my kids napped because they were supposed to be tired.

Due to some surprise circumstances totally unrelated to the walk, we ended up at the pool until way after 6:00. Palmer didn't sleep at all until almost 11:00 PM and Alyssa was in a talkative mood. I just went with it.

A moment. An opportunity. One I caught, took advantage of and didn't let slip away and float into nothingness. Thankfully.

Alyssa's sweet personality called to me out of the middleness of four kids and I answered. She touched my mother's heart.

We decided nighttime walks are a tradition we are going to start and continue. I like that. I liked the time just listening to her talk. I liked the quietness of the night. With four children, I don't get much of that.
I'm so glad I didn't put her off and tell her we'd do it another night. I'm so glad I heard and I acted on the call.

Do I listen when my Father calls me to take those walks? Do I depart for a time when He calls me off the pathways of productivity and perfection and away from the endless journey of to-do lists just to walk...and talk in the quietness of the night?

Even though my laundry is still piled high heart is full.

Almost as full as my laundry room!

Lord, let me take full advantage of the opportunities you give. Help me to listen and say, "Yes, Lord!" Don't let me miss any. Not with my children, my friends, or those you've put in my path. Even the path of laundry. Please don't let me step over them to complete my own agenda. Let me act with intentional thinking knowing what My Master wants. Thank you, Lord!

"Don't waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness. Expose these things for the sham they are. It's a scandal when people waste their lives on things they must do in the darkness where no one will see. Rip the cover off those frauds and see how attractive they look in the light of Christ. Wake up from your sleep, Climb out of your coffins; Christ will show you the light!So watch your step. Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times! Don't live carelessly, unthinkingly. Make sure you understand what the Master wants. (Ephesians 5:11-17)

3 comments:

Marina said...

I have been doing the study on ,no no other God's and these kind of goes with some of the things you are saying but what caught my eye the most is how we can made people or turn them into our Gods these is so true if I have a friend that I really like and she tells me I will call you and doesn't it bothers me and if I see her I will start talking away with her and forget the things I need to do, these happen to me once and I really learn a lesson form these God is our only ture friend he will never let us down he is always there for us ,wether we need to house clean,launday, clean the floors he is saying when are you going to spend tiem with me? I am hear waiting? Love God 1st with all of your heart.marina

Jenn said...

What a great post. Thank you for taching me to take each opportunity- no matter what I have going on to spend time with my boys.

Marina said...

came by to say hi. love,marina