home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Walking on Sunshine


But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. (1 Peter 2:9)

Have you ever experienced an awesome sunny day? I am talking about the kind that is so bright and cloudless, your eyes tear up and your skin feels warm, even if it’s winter.

Every February it happens here. Winter has been around awhile and the mood is kind of gray.

In College Station, winter means rain, rain and more rain. I usually feel as drizzly as the weather.

Every year I think the grayness will never leave. It feels like it’s been around forever.

Then in February when I’m least expecting it, I’ll wake up to a clear, sunny, perfect day. When I was in college, I’d run for the swim suit to get a good head start on that Spring Break tan.

I was recently in a hard situation. I felt like I knew the right thing to do but it was going to be very difficult. I thought maybe I could do part of that hard thing and accomplish just as much. Just in an easier way.

That’s when I heard His voice, “Sunny or partly cloudy?”

I knew the winter had been light. I mean, I could see. I could tell the difference between day and night. It had been gray light, partly cloudy. Not clear, not bright, not beautiful. Just light.

I want marvelous light in my life. When I’m tempted to do the easy thing. When I’m tempted to do less than my best. When I’m tempted to follow only part way. That’s when I want to get out my shades and take the next step. The step that will take me into the marvelously bright light that the truth brings.

I want the dark corners brightly lit. I want the parts barely visible to shine with marvelous light.
I want the center of my life, the parts that everyone sees to be clear. I don’t want a life of shadows and secrets. I don’t want to hide in shadows of light,. I want to experience freedom and marvelous light in every aspect of my life.

Although clouds, grayness, shadows and rain all have light in them. I want the type of light that comes after a long, dark night. I long for my heart to feel as warm as the sun on my face after a long, rainy winter.

Marvelous light, the light of spring brings newness, sunny days and freedom. There is life in light.

I want to go where I’ve been called…out of darkness into marvelous light.

1 comment:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Everytime I read that verse or hear that song, I picture arms wide and just running and twirling with my eyes closed. The joy and freedom that only comes from Him.