home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Homerun Testimony

***Since I posted this, I have since learned that Josh Hamilton stresses the importance of a relationship with God through His Word. He said that whenever he would skip a day of reading his Bible, he would use drugs again. Proof in his life that God's Word is living and active, sharper than a double-edged sword used to fight evil, addiction and sin in our lives. Again, so cool!***

Sports.

Football, basketball, baseball...They are the background music of my life. I love baseball.

I like to get into the games and I love to hear my favorite Astros talking about their relationships with the Lord on KSBJ.

Do I watch baseball like I love it? Not usually.

I don't ever feel like I have the time to sit and watch.

But, still I love the thrill of a good game!

Last night was the all star home run derby.

We were all lined up on the couch cheering for Lance Berkman. The Big Puma.

He had a decent showing.

We sat down to eat dinner.

The kids got bored of watching and went to bed.

I started putting laundry away.

Andrew started excitedly telling me to come in there. History was being made.

This kid we'd never heard of had hit fifteen home runs in round one and still had outs to go. Josh Hamilton ended up hitting 28 home runs in round one. A record.

His pitcher, you get to pick your own, was a 71-year-old man who he had known since he was a kid. So sweet.

Yankee Stadium is chanting his name. If you know anything about baseball, this is a big deal. It's awesome. As one announcer said, "You can be a Yankee and not be liked at Yankee Stadium."

Anyway, his story is so neat.

In 1999 he was a top pick in the draft and got addicted to drugs and alcohol. He kicked his heroin addiction and got sober. He gave up his dreams of ever playing baseball again...Until he had a dream. He was in the home run derby in Yankee Stadium. This dream, of course, was long before this home run derby was announced and long before anyone knew it would be at Yankee Stadium. The last one at Yankee Stadium no less. At the point the whole "dream thing" started being talked about, heads were snapping. People have started listening to his story and taking note of his God. So cool!

He is now playing for the Rangers. He has been back in the game for 3 seasons. He hasn't said much about his story until this week.

After the first round, the sports reporter (that Andrew and I dubbed "Swiss Miss" due to her milkmaid's outfit) asked him, "How do you feel?"

Josh Hamilton responded, "I just want to thank God for all he's done in my life and so fast."

Swiss Miss kept badgering him over and over, "But, how do you feel right now, What's it like breaking these records, etc."

Hamilton just kept talking about God.

I thought it was so cool.

He didn't end up winning the trophy but he definitely stole the show. People are talking about him today, saying his name and we can pray also saying the name of Jesus.

After the final round when he didn't win the whole thing but was still the hero, Swiss Miss asked him again (and again and again), "How do you feel right now?"

His response after thanking the fans, his parents and stating his gratefulness to be there was, "I owe it all to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who I want to glorify in all I do."

An awesome moment in baseball.

5 comments:

Renee said...

I much prefer football over baseball but have been known to watch a few games. I can only last an inning or two though before I'm like...okay where is the hot dog stand!! If the Rangers were better I'd probably watch them more. I don't even know anyone on the team anymore. My favorite player by far is Pudge Rodriguez and I don't even know where he is anymore.

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

Praise the Lord...He can even use baseball to glorify His Name.

I love it!!!

Tiffany said...

the magic show is so expensive!!! we are doing a sunset dinner cruise instead!

GUNNY said...

I thought it was awesome that Hamilton has done so well lately in baseball, but even more so that He's been able to share his story of God's grace.

Good stuff.

P.S. I'm also an Aggie, from the greatness that is the Class of '93. Gig 'em and Whoop!

Jenn said...

Funny that we both did a post on Josh! So thankful for his testimony.