home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, July 28, 2008

The Giants


Friday the girls concluded a drama camp called Camp Narnia. It was at a local church where they learned everything from set and costume design to acting, singing and dancing technique.

Their musical was called "Facing the Giants" and was the story of David and Goliath with a modern day twist to it. I had a soldier and a green monster in the play.

We had some great talks about the giants we face in daily life. The "scariness" of laying in a dark, quiet (except for the weird noises) room at night waiting to fall asleep, dancing on the front row of the stage (when she'd really rather be hiding behind the set) and being alone in your own room all by yourself were some of the giants we conquered through prayer this week.

This summer we've been placing emphasis on courage in our family.

God's Word says, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6)

and

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

Andrew and I have decided that when you act in bravery in our family, there will always be a reward. One Sunday at the pool, it was milkshakes for everyone who tried something new. Sliding down a faster slide, jumping off a higher board and swimming to a deeper depth were all done with knees shaking and mouths watering. Another time it was a Sonic happy hour for those who swam in deep water without life jackets.

Although, our battle with fear will never end, we can certainly develop strength, courage and boldness so as to fight it victoriously more easily, more often.

I hope they learn this lesson now.

This week, I put on my armor, got down on my knees and fought some of my own giants. The rewards were freedom, joy and unity. Intangible and priceless yet very filling and very satisfying.

God always equips us for the things He calls us to do.

Bravery.

Courage.

What giants do you need to face this week?

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

It was so good to see your face and hug your neck on Saturday.

God continues to make me face the giant of not being in control.

I am ever learning to turn it all over to Him.

Love you.

Marina said...

these was a good post strength and encourage is what I need when I am facing fears or painc attacks that i think I have over come they still creep up too me saying they haven't gone and I give in too the fear feeling bad about myself allowing the fear to took take over when I know better.marina