home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, June 02, 2008

Still



In case you're wondering, I'm still here. It's not that I don't have anything to say, I do. Lots.

It's just that when the things in my life that I am passionate about become mundane I have to take a break and change my routine a little.


To borrow a quote from a friend (who you'll meet another day), "Focus is my super power." I've learned to prayerfully develop an intentional routine, a system, to maximize my energy and resources each day.


This super focus helps me to funnel time and energy into my passions while meeting my daily responsibilities. However, when the extraordinary in my life starts becoming stinkin' ordinary with a taste of monotony, I refocus.


By being still.


Sometimes, it's because I need to listen. Sometimes, I just need a quiet place to share.


This time, it's been neither.


I needed stillness.


Complete stillness.


Non-movement.


Inactivity.


It's bred ultra-productivity.


The beds we sleep in every night have gone unmade for a few days. The dishes we've eaten on have all been of the disposable variety. The clothes we wear have remained in a huge but sort of logical (at least to me) pile.


I hope I am teaching my children a lesson that was a long time coming to me. It's wonderful to rise early and meet with God. It's great to pray while you keep the kitchen clean and the bathroom fresh.


But, there are times when you drop everything to focus on a close friend just for the sheer joy of beholding their face and gazing into their eyes.


I've heard the saying, "Knowledge is power."


"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10


The ultimate power lies in stillness.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hi Lisa-

I took a blog break too which included visiting blogs. I am going to catch up on yours this morning. I hope you are enjoying your summer so far.

PS- We still have not sold the house. We are praying it sells soon!