home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, June 20, 2008

May Madness

May is always a busy month with the end of school, awards ceremonies, performances and the general exhaustion and exhilaration of school winding down, summer coming on and the change of seasons.

I really don't know if I can truly recapture all that this year's May entailed. But, I can try. This will not be one brief post covering May but a series of posts that begin with Mother's Day.

There are some ladies I just love. I don't really "know" them personally as in if we saw each other on the street they would jump up and down throwing their arms around me. But, I have had the opportunity to get to know them through their ministries and their blogs and I would jump up and down throwing my arms around them if I saw them on the street!

Remember my Galveston post about the nasty, slimy tick? Well, even as I was discovering that tick and extracting it from my precious boy's head, one of these favorite ladies was fighting her own battle with one of these nasty creatures. If you haven't had the chance to meet Lysa TerKeurst of Proverbs 31 Ministries, you should take the time. She is a woman who loves the Lord and is such an encouragement to other women. I mean you gotta love that we were battling deranged and possible diseased ticks at just the same time. See, I told you she is an example of "iron sharpening iron" and all that.

Now, in case you didn't know, one way I spent the most recent Mother's Day was by shopping with my own mom. My mom is a great lady. She loves the Lord and her prayers are one of the main reasons why I am who I am today. But let me tell you, we can shop. (Of course, we always pray we can find a good deal...ha ha.) We love to find a deal and we love to do it together. We've been known to skip lunch or eat protein bars for a meal so we can have more energy to do more shopping. In the last few years, this has become a talent. We've learned to totally maximize the four hours of Mother's Day Out. Seriously, a rare and not to be underestimated talent. This Mother's Day excursion we didn't do as much damage as we have in the past. After all, we can restrain ourselves like the mature mothers that we are. We did come home asking ourselves if that really is what we should have done to celebrate motherhood, though. Because, let's face it. There are much more spiritual causes than looking cute and finding good fashion on sale.

Don't get me wrong it was fun and my mom is GOOD at spoiling her girls but we had a tiny question about it. Not that we were going to waste time feeling guilty, we were just not going back to the store any time soon. Afterall, my mom is going to Africa to minister to orphans in August. The right summer dress? Not so much a necessity there. Then, I read that Beth Moore spent her Mother's Day the exact same way!

So, we considered it a blessing and as I always say, "Great Moms think alike!"

No comments: