home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, June 26, 2008

King of This Jungle


"As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you." (Isaiah 66:13)

My journey into gentleness began many years ago.

Really, as a child and teenager, gentleness wasn't something that characterized my life. I was loud, outspoken, opinionated, harsh, demanding and still am lots of these things.

Especially as I became a mother I have asked the Lord to make me gentle with my children. Soft hands. Soft voices. Soft words.

He has promised to lead me in this. " He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." (Isaiah 40:11) This verse has been the mantra of my motherhood. I've clung to this promise as I rocked babies, changed diapers and trained little hearts.

I've always loved the image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd and Psalm 23 is one of my favorites. This is a Jesus that I can relate to, I get the caretaker.

I have always longed for the peace of the Lamb in my heart, my life, my home. It's just a prayer that I've always prayed.

Several years ago I was crying out to the Lord for the "fruit of the Lamb" in my home as I was redecorating. I consider these things like peace, harmony, contentment, rest and joy.

I would call each of these by name as I removed the outdated jewel tones and added my favorite animal prints and earthy textures.

One night in the midst of the safari transformation, the Lord pierced my heart.

"You forgot to invite the Lion of Judah to rule in your jungle," He gently whispered into my heart.

The Lion of Judah must fight to establish His territory before the reign of the Lamb can take place.

My prayers have changed a little since then. I know that with the fight of the Lion my character can become like the Spirit of the Lamb.

"Lion of Judah, Come establish your throne in my heart."

1 comment:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

I knew when I started reading this that that is where you were going...I remember you sharing this story, years ago, and when you redecorated and left the wall blank for the Lion of Judah...this just brought tears to my eyes.
May He reign in all our hearts and homes.
I love you and miss you.