home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, June 27, 2008

Encouraged by the Enforcer

***Update: Sally Lloyd-Jones, author of The Jesus Storybook Bible has left a comment on this here blog, my blog! So awesome that it totally made my day! She has some really neat resources on her website (Go to www.sallyloyd-jones.com this will take you to her blog or facebook)for kids including a few that I'm ordering myself. Thanks, Sally!***
I am doing this Bible study with my kids this summer.

Originally I was going to do it with them as a small group.

Things have changed. I am meeting with Julia and Alyssa one on one three times a week and giving them each homework. Different homework.

I am simply reading the stories to the boys and then praying. We will read about one character and then read parts of their story from the Bible and their story in the Jesus Storybook Bible.

Julia and I read the book together and discuss the questions. Her assignments are to look up the story in her Bible, read the stories in the Jesus Storybook Bible, pray using the book's prayer guide and journal one page about what God shows her. I have been giving her questions to journal about as a guide.

Alyssa reads the book on her own, I help her with the Bible part, she reads the Jesus Storybook Bible on her own and journals and prays on her own with no guidance from me.

Different strokes for different folks.

I really enjoy the time with them and they are enjoying it as well...Because from time to time we will go to Starbucks to discuss what God is showing us through our time in His Word. Because they are ready to learn that God shows up over coffee. They are super pumped about that. Big girls out for coffee with mom. Love it!

One of the main reasons I love this book is because special attention is given to how each character from the Bible heard God's voice. Sometimes it was a whisper so full of love it seemed a little loud and others it was a whisper barely audible but powerful and strong so it couldn't be mistaken.

Everyone knows I love the Jesus Storybook Bible because it draws the theme of the Bible, our redemption through Jesus' sacrifice because of His great love for us, through each story like a red thread of love holding the pages in place.


I am "encouraging" them to have this scheduled time with the Lord each day. (When I say encourage I mainly mean enforce.) And I was wondering if this was too harsh of an approach to loving God's Word and creating lifelong habits...and to discovering their faith on their own.

Then once again, I read one of my favorite ladies. One of Beth Moore's daughters, Melissa, wrote a post recently about her time in the biblical text. Melissa is Beth's daughter who is slightly famous for defying Dr. James Dobson's "Strongwilled Child" book. I have some of those. She says she called her mother the Titus 2 woman from you-know-where. But this habit eventually led her to a deep, passionate love for the Book that's like no other and it's Author.

What are some things you are doing to encourage your children to seek God and to spend time in His Word?

2 comments:

Renee said...

I was just thinking yesterday that I needed to be doing a bible study with my kids this summer. I definitely want the Word to be a light unto their path and what better way than to keep hammering it in....LOL!

Hope your summer is going well!

Sally Lloyd-Jones said...

Hi Lisa

I'm the author of The Jesus Storybook Bible and I came across your blog via a google alert thing and thought I'd stop by and say Hi.

What a great posting. And how wonderful that you are teaching your children from an early age to have their own special time with God.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the book. It's God's Wonderful Story--and i'm so honored to have a part in retelling it for children.

Anyway, my best to you all

Sally
sallylloyd-jones.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/sally-lloyd-jones/29128179904

PS you may be interested to know about some cool resources on my site connected with the book, including audio of me reading the stories, downloadable stories, interviews and reviews--as well as other new children's books