home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, April 17, 2008

She's Not Heavy...She's My Sistah


I've been talking about this retreat. For over fifteen years a group of friends and I have made an annual pilgrimage to this place. I've only missed one year...last year. It's that good!

The group has varied from year to year but there are a core group of us who have been close friends for years. I tell these girlfriends, "No matter how you have to get me there, get me there!" We've become friends who carry one another to where Jesus is.

I'm thinking this is what the paralyzed man in Luke 5 told his friends. Luke 5:17 tell us Jesus was teaching to a large crowd from many towns "And the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick."

Some men came carrying a paralytic on a mat. When they couldn't get through the crown they climbed to the roof, removed some tiles and lowered the man down "right in front of Jesus." (v. 19)

Jesus saw their faith, forgave his sins and healed him.

Think about it.

The faith of friends who love you can turn God's ear to your healing!

These guys loved their friend so much they made a stretcher, loaded him on it and carried him. Probably for miles, maybe for hours or days. After carrying him through town after town with sore backs, blistered fingers and bruised shins, they discovered that the crowd was so thick, Jesus might not be able to see their friend. So despite aching arms they climbed to the roof just to get their beloved friend in the presence of the One who could heal him. Wow!

These ladies have saved, borrowed and sacrificed, traveled long distances after long days, given up time with family and weekends year after year all to get right in front of Jesus with me in a place where "the power of the Lord is present to heal the sick."

Luke 5:25 says, "Without a moment's hesitation he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God."

Year after year we all truly pick up what we've been lying on and go home praising God!

2 comments:

Kathryn, Michael & Alex said...

I missed you my siestah!!!

I thank Jesus for friends like you who would carry me for miles and days.

I love you.

Angie Love said...

I never thought about it that way, but it was so good to read it on your blog...knowing we would do the same for one another!
You asked if I have my comments e-mailed to me. Yes, I do. I was so glad to see your name pop up on my e-mail this morning!
I miss you more than words can describe...I'll be home for Christmas!